I’ve posted this recipe each fall since I first started blogging, and it’s one of those recipes that no one should miss (so I feel it’s my duty to re-share!) If you haven’t tried it yet, add the ingredients to your grocery list this week, and enjoy. 🙂
This is by far my favorite fall treat, and when my daughter and I made it last week she even made a cute little video to show the process. I could make this cake all year long and never grow tired of it, but it just sounds so good in the fall and makes our home smell delicious!
Note – I’m not sure why on earth the video has those few extra spots for “titles” in it – they didn’t show up when we were uploading it but apparently are in there somewhere – we’re learning! 🙂
When I first found the recipe nine years ago I was teaching preschool “cooking and science” and my preschool classes made the cake – our entire church smelled heavenly! So, grab your apron and a few apples (you might love this apple peeler/corer too), and get baking.
Southern Living Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs Publix 18 ct. on sale $2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced I think any tart apple will do – we used a bag of apples on sale at Publix in last week’s sale. (To see detailed apple information, check out this site!) If you have an apple peeler & slicer it makes this so easy, and my kids love watching it work! If not you may have a little more prep time on your hands.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional, but we’ve never used them)
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended.
- Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. (Batter will be very thick, almost like cookie dough.)
- Spread into a well-greased 13- x 9-inch pan. (It’s pretty sticky, so make sure to grease your pan well!)
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
note – you may want to double frosting – we always like extra!
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
To make the Cream Cheese Frosting . . .
Looking for more apple recipes?