I have a little girl who’s home sick today so we’re taking the next few hours off to snuggle a bit. Watch later today for more penny pinched posts!
I’ve seen all the cute pictures of ornament wreaths over on Pinterest, and my girls and I decided it was time to make one ourselves this weekend! Of course, being the penny pincher I am, I had to do the math to figure out how to get the least expensive ornaments. (Yup, I’m a nerd that way.)
Here’s what I figured out:
- Dollar Tree ornaments pack of 5 = $1 or 20¢ per ornament
- Michaels ornament pack of 50 on sale $14.99, use this 25% off entire purchase coupon (expires 11/15/14) = $11.24 or 22¢ per ornament
The size of the ornaments were almost identical (the silver ornaments were from the Dollar Tree, all the colored ones were from Michaels), but I liked that Michaels offers quite a few more colors to choose from (our Dollar Tree had silver, gold, red and green.) So, when you’re heading to price ornaments this Christmas, $.20 per ornament is a good baseline price ~ if you find them for less than that, you’re getting a steal!
I thought surely I’d have enough to do two wreaths, but was only able to fill out one wreath with all those ornaments (I did have a few leftover, but not enough for another wreath.) Here’s what I used:
- Wreath form $6.99
- (3) packs ornaments from the Dollar Tree $3
- 50 pack ornaments from Michaels $11.24
- Hot glue gun & glue sticks
- Total = $21.23
Considering some of them sell for over $100 on Etsy (yikes?), this was a better deal than I realized!
To make ours, I just started with a basic foam wreath, and added ornaments around the outside edges using a hot glue gun.
Then I filled the inside of the wreath up, and finally added ornaments on top of other ornaments to fill in any spaces where you could see the foam wreath.
If I was doing it again I’d purchase a box of smaller ornaments to fill in those holes (I think they would look great, and it would cost a little less to make it!)
Here are a few wreath tutorials if you’d like to more in-depth directions:
- DIY Ornament Wreath using a Wire Hanger
- DIY Ornament Wreath Tutorial with foam wreath (youtube tutorial)
And you may also want to try making this simple fun mesh wreath as well! Looking for more penny pinched Christmas decorating ideas? Check these out:
- Monogrammed Burlap Table Runner
- $3 Dollar Tree Christmas Wreaths
- Christmas Tree Decorated from The Dollar Tree
- How to Etch Glass (Joy Jar)
See previous Fluff Up projects and ideas . . . and Happy Fluffing!