Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
We tried out this Pepperoni Pizza Braid last night for dinner, and it was a huge hit! Other than thawing out the bread ahead of time (be sure to give yours a few hours to thaw out), it took just a few minutes to throw together and was a great penny-pinched alternative to frozen pizza.
My kids loved it, and we doubled the batch so there would be plenty for leftovers for my husband to pack for lunch at work. I love the idea of making these ahead and freezing them too, so if you need an easy way to get dinner on the table on a busy night you may want to try that out! Here’s how to get started . . .
Thaw bread completely.
Roll out dough and spread tomato paste and seasonings in the center of the dough.
Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
Cut small strips along the sides of the dough using a pizza cutter.
Fold the dough to make your “braid”. (My kids did this – so it wasn’t made all that fancy!)
Bake in oven at 350 for 25-3o minutes.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough (I use Rhodes or Kroger brand, could also use Publix dough found in the bakery)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp crushed oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- sliced pepperoni
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Thaw bread completely.
- Roll out dough and spread tomato paste and seasonings in the center of the dough.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cut small strips along the sides of the dough using a pizza cutter.
- Fold the dough to make your "braid".
- Bake in oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Brush with a little butter or margarine and sprinkle with Parmesan.