Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
My hubby loves a good pork chop, so when I came across this recipe with amazing reviews for Chef John’s Smothered Pork Chops, I had to try it out. It definitely took a little more energy than most of the recipes I make here at home, but the results were so good!
If you’re in a hurry (but remember to slow cook in the morning), these still are my go-to pork chop slow cooker recipe (you may also want to try out these on the grill . . . ), but this one is absolutely delicious when you have a little extra time to put into it. If I was making it again I’d double the onions (I love caramelized onions!), and 4 large pork chops were more than enough to feed our family. Here’s the recipe so you can try it too . . .
Smothered Pork Chops
- 4 large bone in pork chops, about 1″ thick
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion sliced (I would use two next time!)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat, brown pork on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Set pork chops on a plate and set aside.
- Drain excess grease from pan and melt butter in skillet.
- Add onion into the skillet with a little salt, then cook on medium heat until onion is caramelized, around 15 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook another minute, then stir in flour and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add in chicken broth and stir, then add in any juices that have drained on plate under pork chops into your skillet.
- Add in buttermilk and mix until smooth, then add water.
- Bring sauce to simmer, then drop heat down to look, and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until sauce is thickened. (I told you this one is a little more work than normal!)
- Place pork chops in sauce, spooning sauce over meat to cover it.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chops are cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as desired and serve with gravy. Enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 05/06/15):
- Pork Chops $1.99/lb at Kroger in select regions
- Publix Pork Chops on sale $3.79/lb.