A Hard Day.

• Sumo

So, this post I shared five years ago popped up in my Facebook feed today.

Five years later to the day, we’re driving home from this most amazing man’s funeral, hearts so very heavy as we mourn probably the best man I’ve ever known.

Five years could never have been enough, but we’re so thankful God gave us those.

Hug your babies.

Take time to bake the cookies. 😉

Ask someone you love what you can do to bless them today.

But most of all, know the peace that we have right now, confident that although he’s no longer here today, his heart is rejoicing at home.

Not gonna lie. Our hearts are still broken, but it truly is well with our souls.

Our 10-year-old daughter Reagan spoke at the funeral, and I don’t think I could have better put into words what she shared about him, every single thing she said was so true.  Here’s what she shared:

Grandpa was a very loving man. He would always greet us with a smile then would keep smiling. He would love when we would visit him.

I have only known him for 10 years. He got West Nile when I was only 2 years old. That did not change his personality though. He still was kind and loving. He still had his great smile.

When I was flying in Friday I couldn’t wait to see him. I know he is in a better place and he is playing sports and walking around. He is watching us from heaven laughing at us.

He is not in any more pain from the West Nile virus and cancer. He could have died 8 years ago but fought through the pain and survived. It is hard for everyone to get over his death. I’ll miss him but God decided it was time for him to go. I loved him very much, because he was kind, loving, and always had a smile on his face.

(The view from Don’s back porch where he sat almost every day looking out over the Presbyterian Church. He shared it on his instagram feed last summer.) 🙂

“When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul”

A HUGE thanks to the PPP team who completely ran the site for the last several days so I didn’t have to do a thing. I cannot begin to tell you how fortunate I am to have such a sweet group of women surrounding me, and feel immeasurably blessed to work with them each day. Thank you Shannon, Cheryl, Nicole, Jamie, Hannah, Staci & Cheri!

Print Friendly and PDF

Comments

1. karen b says:

Oh Laurie, what a blessing for him but so much sadness for you! The first thing that crossed my mind when I seen the title was I bet he passed away. Easter memories is going to be so much sweeter since he got to spend this year with y’all. Blessings & Prayers for your family ♥

• Thank you so much for your kind words Karen! I am so so thankful we had those memories at Easter, because they were an incredible gift to us. So sad that my kids won’t grow up with him there, but we know he’s finally home.

2. Nancy Wilbur says:

So sorry for your loss. Your daughter is wise beyond her years and she will have good memories for the rest of her years. You’ve done well.

3. Laurie, I am so sorry. I lost my dad to cancer 11 months ago today. It has definitely been the hardest thing I have ever gone through. But, I am thankful to know that because my dad had accepted Christ as his Savior as a child and I did as well, he is in Heaven and I will get to see him again. Also, his pain is all over and he is happier than we could imagine. Just hold on to that same hope and God will give you comfort and strength. I will pray for you and your family.

4. Sharon Mahan says:

Bless you and your entire family. It is never easy (at any age) to lose our parents. I was 29 when I lost my daddy and I was devastated. I was 59 when I lost my mom and I was devastated and certainly not ready to say goodbye. I miss them both but smile daily with all of my wonderful memories. The thing I miss the most is hearing their voice.

Blessings, (((Hugs))) and prayers to you and yours.

5. So sorry for your loss. Praying God will put his arms around you and your family and give you peace. Judy

6. Laurie, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May 21, 2017 was 8 months since I lost my Dad and it is one of the biggest heartaches I will ever endure. To this day my heart is still filled with sorrow an hurt. Stay strong and know we are all praying for you.

7. Lisa Clark says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. My father passed on 4/24/17. I’m miss him terribly but he is now with my mother who passed 10/27/2009. My 14 year old is taking it very hard.

8. Sue Natzke says:

So sorry for your tremendous loss Laurie! Your post brought tears to my eyes as I thought back of the song “It is well with my soul” was sung at my mom’s service just several months ago. I know many of us don’t “personally” know you Laurie but we feel like we do as we invite you into our homes several times a week. You have made such a positive change in our home and for that I am so thankful! May you find comfort in knowing others are grieving with you and lifting you up in prayer. Hugs my “friend”.

9. SueAnn Krause says:

Laurie, I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. Take time to feel God’s comfort and love while you’re healing from sadness.

God’s blessings,
    SueAnn Krause

10. Michelle Anderson says:

Laurie
    What a great sadness for you but a blessing knowing he is with Jesus now. What wonderful children you have. Your daughter’s words are so sweet. She will have good memories of your dad. Please take care of yourself at this time. It is hard and painful. I’ve been through it myself.

11. Margie Webster says:

Laurie, so sorry to hear about your father. Life is so fragile and we need to
    live each moment wisely. Rejoice in the moments you all had together.
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Take care
    of yourself and know many people are praying for you.

12. Glenda Skinner says:

I am so sorry for your loss, Laurie. I know the pain you feel as my Dad passed away in 2010. My heart still hurts today but I know my Dad is loving his life in Heaven with God and being pain free. Your Dad looks like he was such a sweet, loving, kind man. He will always be in your heart, Laurie…never forget that. I pray that God will wrap His arms around you and your family during this difficult time and give you all some peace.

13. Julie W says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you mourn. May you find comfort and a peace that transcends all understanding. Heaven is all the sweeter knowing he’s there.
    With Love & Deepest Sympathy~

14. Karen L. says:

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a wonderful man and you were All very blessed to have him in your life. Your daughter is amazing to write and speak from the heart. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

15. Shirley Charles says:

Laurie, we don’t know each other, but I feel I know you. I know this is so hard. My mother and Daddy have been gone for a number of years now and I still miss them so much. Take comfort in God and knowing that your Dad is now “Safe in the Arms of Jesus”. God will uphold you and keep you if you keep looking to Him.

16. Cheryl Peters says:

Sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

17. Debbie Podwika says:

So very sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you & your family.

18. sharon hoover says:

Adding my prayers for your sweet family. Our sermon on Sunday ended with that song. I sobbed through it all, knowing our loved ones are so, so happy, while we still grieve. Take the time you need, to get more used to the idea of him being gone and know that he truly has that smile on his face for eternity.

19. So very sorry for your loss, it’s not good at any age, I lost my dad when I was 19, graduating high school, he was 49, I was fortunate to have my mom till I was 50, she was 86. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. He is with you in your hearts and in his memories. God Bless.

20. Nina Detweiler says:

I am so sorry for your loss. I wished I had better words to say than that. I praise God that we all have that glorious hope of seeing our loved ones again. I will be praying for you and you family.

Psalms 30:5 weeping my last for a night, but JOY comes in the morning.

21. Julie bass says:

So sorry for your loss, I hope you know that you are in our thoughts a prayers and wish your family healing and love. Peace and love, miss your smiling face on the FB feed.

22. Mary Driver-Downs says:

Laurie,
    My prayers will be with you and your family as you being the grieving process. Be gentle with yourselves and tears are a good thing whenever they come. Its hard to say see ya later to those we love. Sending your family prayers of light and comfort.

23. Cheryl Perry says:

Praying for you all during this difficult time, but rejoicing with you that he is walking the streets of Gold with a new glorified body!

24. Jodi Snider says:

We’ve been praying for your family, and our hearts break for your loss. So sorry…

25. Kathy Lutu says:

I know how you feel Laurie. I was very close with my grandfather. Take all the time you need to morn. We all miss you but will look forward to your return. Prayers to you and your family

26. Jennifer Detro says:

That is one of the hardest things to go through my heart has never been the same. God Bless you and your family. Comfort in knowing he is at peace and walking the streets of gold. He is not gone just away……Hugs to you.

27. Thank you so so much for all your kind words – I can’t even begin to express how much they’ve meant to me! Our hearts are so sad, but so thankful for the peace that we have right now. He really was the best, and such an example to us all!