My Fun Goodwill Trip: Spent $9 For Over $100 In Boots

A few weeks ago when Goodwill offered their coupon (that turned out to only be available in certain regions – sorry guys!) I decided to see if there were any deals to be had at our local Goodwill. Several readers in the Columbus area were sweet enough to share which Goodwill stores were their favorite, so my daughter and I headed out.

We were really looking to see if they had any great furniture deals that we could re-paint, however the store we went to had mostly clothing, shoes, and toys. (Luckily we made a trip to the Ikea over the weekend in Cincinnati and scored, watch for pictures soon of what we found!) However, we looked around at the boots and noticed some incredible deals, so had to pick up a few!

We found the Aigner boots and grabbed them for $4.50 (I noticed this same pair on ebay for $89.99 – crazy!) as well as a pair of cute brown boots. I was thrilled because they fit my 11-year-old, and even though I don’t think she’ll wear them all that often, having a pair of dressy boots for Sunday morning church in the winter time is just a nice little gift! (Does anyone else have crazy Sunday mornings where hunting down a pair of shoes just seems to start the week off on the wrong foot?) I don’t shop thrift stores all that often, but this trip might have me hooked.  :)

Have you found any great deals at your local thrift store lately? I’d love to hear about them, and feel free to send in your pictures to contact@passionatepennypincher.com if you’d like and I’d love to share them here on PPP too!

Comments

1. Jessica says:

I always score really great deals on heels and dresses at our Goodwill here in Houston. I picked up two pairs of heels for $8 and $7, that retail for $100 and $90, respectively. I also found two dresses for $10 each that sell at Nordstrom’s for over $300 each!

2. Love Good Will, found a Coach purse there for 12.99, yes it was authentic, traced the serial numbers inside the purse, found it on line for 185.00 also found Ugg boots, new still in box for 29.99, plus many other items!

3. Marcia Murphy says:

I love a thrift stores and have scored some great deals. Our local churches have some I like. Saver's is a huge store but I'm not sure if they have them in all area's. Goodwill and Salvation Army are fun too..I once picked up a Pottery Barn bedspread for $5.. New with tags..had it cleaned and it's perfect. My husband and I buy almost all our clothes that way now..Landsend, LL Bean, Gap and other major brands last an look good for a long time. I refinish old furniture and love our ReStore..run by the Habitat for Humanity..they seem to be popping up all over lately. Happy hunting!

4. Barbara Houk Jachim says:

I just bought football team logo table for $20.00 from Goodwill. It was in perfect condition. Originally sold thru The Danbury Mint!

5. Meredith says:

I could write a book on the deals I’ve found over the years. Probably the best, most recent one was a pair of brown suede boots, brand new, for $10. Got home and did some research and found they retail for over $500! I got my sister a glass/flat top electric cook top that goes for over $800. I paid $8. A $4500 (yes, that is 45-hundred dollars) projector that connects to your DVD player (the professional kind made for trade shows and such) for outside movie night, scout events, etc. for $50. A $1000 Filter Queen home air cleaner for $17.50. A $75 Cutco knife for 70 CENTS. But the thing is, I am in GW and other thrifts several times a week. And I go to six or seven different stores. I know what’s a good buy and what is not. I keep people’s wish lists with me and can usually find anything someone is looking for within a week or two. Call me a professional shopper, I guess, I get paid with the good deals I get. I refuse to pay full price for anything! Why spend so much when I can clothe my kids for $1.99 a piece, some of them with Gymboree or Carter’s tags on them? And then there’s a cashier at one who swears I qualify for the senior citizen discount and always rings my clothes up at 30% off on Wednesdays, making the kids’ clothes $1.39. I always say people are crazy for NOT shopping the thrift stores. We have very nice things that we would never be able to afford if we bought them new in the original stores.

• You definitely could write a book on shopping thrift stores Meredith! It’s rare that I make it to one more than once every few months, but I think it would be fun to see how things change over there by shopping more often. Thanks so much for sharing!

6. I was in a thrift store and found a formal dress for $10. The original price tag was still attached and it was originally sold for $1500. Didn't actually buy it because it wouldn't have fit anyone, but someone got one heck of a deal.

7. Karen Heidenthal Tudela says:

YES!! i love the thrift stores! a $90 pair of Shaq sneakers for my 7 yr old son for $4… an oven broiler rack/pan for $4 (BRAND NEW!!!)… and clothes for me $1/piece… a new keyboard (after an apple juice spill that was not reported to me by aforementioned 7yr old!!) for $2!!

8. Are you going to the Columbus goodwill? I love the Delaware and Sunbury goodwill!

• Marjorie says:

Delaware Goodwill is my favorite!! Thrift store shopping is one of my favorite activities. My girls and I spent all day in them, that was my Mother’s Day :-)

• I need to try the Delaware Goodwill store! I think this was the one on Sawmill Parkway – there wasn’t a whole lot there but I was excited about the boots ;) Thanks so much for telling me about the Delaware store because I’m just a little ways from there (I might check it out today!)

9. Valerie H says:

Meredith–
    I’d love to hear your stories, ideas and what to look for. I’m in the South we don’t have a plethora of options but I love a deal.