We Made It To Ohio!

20140520-110618.jpg

My kids handprints from our old driveway ;)

Goodness gracious ~ it’s been a long week already, and it’s only Wednesday morning! We arrived safely in Columbus after midnight last night, and (fingers crossed) close on our new home later today.

20140521-085228.jpg

It’s been a hard, sad, oh-so-blessed-that-it-just-hurts-to-go few days, as we said goodbye to so many wonderful friends Monday and Tuesday.  When we finally got all tucked in last night my big-ole’ 14 year old just looked and me with tears in his eyes and asked “Is this really happening?” Bless him, it’s so stinkin’ difficult to just exist at all when you’re 14, so I absolutely hate that we’ve thrown this curve ball his way. :(

20140521-074216.jpg

Here’s my make-shift desk in the closet of my husband’s apartment today (I didn’t want to wake anyone up with my typing!) It’ll be awhile before I have a real office again, but surely I can find something a little more appropriate than the top of a Rubbermaid cooler (surely?)

I can’t even begin to thank you for all your kind words, thoughts and emails as you all have encouraged me while we get through this. I never expected such an overflow of support, and have been thoroughly shocked at how many of you took time to email me, and even more surprised at how many Ohio readers there are here on PPP. (Really – so many folks have sent emails with so many tips on the area – I am so blessed!)  My heart’s still a little (a lot) achy this morning, but I know things will look brighter in a few days as we settle in.

20140521-085254.jpg

Thank you so much for your continued prayers (especially for a cute 14 year old blonde boy who could really use it today)  ~ praying God’s grace on your day too!

If you missed this earlier, see more on our move over HERE.

Comments

1. Mamacita YG says:

Kids are very resilient. Find a local church ASAP and get him involved with it. He will be find when he meets some friends and gets to know the area a little. In all the craziness just remember to give him the time he needs from you both. It might. Delay some things you want to get done but it will still be there when your done helping him adjust

2. My family and I moved only a few miles down the road and it has been heart wrenching. The hardest of all was when my 7 year old sobbed on my shoulder as I put her to bed in our home on the last night.

However, things for all of us, you too, will be better! Hugs to your son.

3. Sharon Shepherd says:

What a blessing and a curse. It's a bittersweet time for you all. So super sad to leave your old life and so exciting to start your new one! Notice I said leave your old life not your old friends. Lots of ways to keep in touch nowadays! Take care and God Bless!!

4. Suzanne Verdon says:

We moved 10 years ago from California to Tennessee. Although we were very excited, our kids were very nervous and sad. We left all of friends and family and came to a place were we knew no one. We found a church right away and we are still at the same one all these years later. You never know what God has in store for you. Give yourself time to grieve and heal and look forward to new adventures. In our case, it was the best thing that could have ever happened to us.

5. Welcome to Ohio!!! Said a prayer for you all especially your son! Hope you all settle in and enjoy your new home! I am sure he will make new friends soon!

• Thank you so much for your prayers Dawn – I appreciate that more than you know (especially for Jackson!) I’m sure he’ll make friends soon and will just love it here too, we’ve just got to get through these few weeks and see what God has around the corner. :)

6. Deborah says:

Praying for your family. Anytime God calls us to any changes we tell each other it will be a “great adventure “. God Bless you and your family as you begin this great adventure!!

7. I hope he makes friends quickly as you all settle in…Big hugs!!

8. I have family in the area that have a son of similar age to yours. If you are near Worthington/Colonial Hills please email me. I can pass along their names!!!

9. Kathy Colton says:

You are all in my thoughts and prayers…I was just saying to someone today that I can’t believe that this time last year we were packing up our house in Alabama and moving to Nebraska! Tell your kids that if our kids can do it, yours can too! Our kids still miss Alabama and our great friends/neighbors there, but they have met a lot of great friends out here that they never would have met if we hadn’t moved. Just keep a positive outlook on things, and you’ll be fine. (Besides, it’s always fun to have a new house to decorate and a new place to explore)! Good luck!

• Thank you Kathy!!! (I’ve thought of you so much during these last few months.) :) I really hope our kids will adjust as well as yours have, and keep telling myself to remember that he’s not the first kid who’s had to do this. Hoping today they’ll find a few kids in the neighborhood and get excited about the new house!

10. Earnest D Marcum says:

Came to Oklahoma from northern Missouri in Dec 2009, a 300 mile trip and I was only going to be here for a month, now, nearly 5 years later, I’m still in Oklahoma. Could have never imagined the impact I would make here in OK but became involved with various organization’s that assist disadvantaged adults. Here I make a difference in so many other people’s lives for the good, that, had I remained in my home (that had been paid for, for years) I would have just gotten older, without making a real difference. Here I do.

• Thank you so much for sharing your story Earnest – that’s such a good reminder (and you just really never know what God’s going to do with you right where you’re at!)

11. Becky Weber says:

Welcome to Ohio! I will pray for your family, especially your son! In addition to a local church, I would suggest going to your local library and check out the summer reading program plus events. God bless your family!

• Thanks Becky – that’s a wonderful idea and I may try to get there to day with them while the movers are coming in so that they’re out of the way! Thank you so much for your encouragement (and the great tip!)

12. Linda Hayes says:

As I read your post I realized that for most children moving is a major event and there is usually a lot of fear attached. Other than being nervous about having to eat lunch by myself, I liked the adventure of the unknown and something totally new. I will pray that all of you will quickly acclimate and find your “niche” in Ohio. I used to tell my kids, “Have we ever moved to a place God didn’t really bless us?” They admitted He was faithful — BUT it was still hard. I am so glad He doesn’t just throw us into situations and let us flounder there. He is such a great door-opener!

• Thanks so much for your encouragement Linda – I definitely need to remind them that we’ve been blessed in every place that we’ve been at (because you’re so right!) I think we’re in for a tough few weeks, but I know it’ll get better as we find our spot. Thank you!

13. Laurie:
    Love your site! Iv’e been a fan for a few years now! I see that you live in Cbus! That’s awesome. I’m from Cbus myself but now live in Arizona :( You and your family will do great there! Lot’s of fun things to do, especially with kids your age! Not sure what side of town you live on, but Cbus is a great city! Good luck!

• Thanks Renee – I appreciate that so much! We’re in the Delaware/Powell area ~ definitely praying that we’ll get acclimated soon ~ it is beautiful here! :)