Have You Spring Cleaned Your Beds? (+ Upcoming Spring Cleanout Details)

My friend Staci has been doing some serious Spring cleaning, and shared her pictures and ideas with me to share with you all! As our big move is just around the corner I haven’t done any real Spring cleaning (scroll down for more details), so I’m so glad she’s shared her tips with us.

To be honest I’m not sure that I’ve ever really deeply cleaned our beds (which I’m shocked to actually say?), so hearing Staci’s suggestions were great for me, and so helpful as a way to get started! Here’s what she recommends:

1. Remove everything from bedding and wash all of the linens, mattress pads, and pillow shams (including pillows.)
  2. Sprinkle baking soda over the entire mattress, then vacuum very slowly to really deep clean.
  3. Flip the mattress over, then re-do it all again in six months. (She suggests doing it when you spring forward and fall back)

So do you clean your mattresses out well for Spring? I’m so glad Staci shared her tips, and am hoping to get mine done over the next few weeks before we move.  I’d love to know what other suggestions you have for giving your bedrooms a good Spring cleaning!

*Note: A PPP reader mentioned that you’ll want to make sure to use a vacuum that can handle baking soda (I assumed that all could, but apparently some are not made for that!) Thanks for letting us know Kristin.

Okie dokie folks, here’s a peek at what to watch for later this week.  Either Thursday or Friday, I’ve got to spend the entire day giving our home one last good thorough cleanout before we move. (The moving trucks arrive in just over three weeks – eek!) So, for at least one day (and maybe more – we’ll see how it goes), I’m going to post only a few deals, but let you all join me throughout the day by posting updates from each room as I go! My plan at this point is for Thursday (although it may turn into Friday – I’m still working out my kids afternoon activities to be sure), and I’ll start posting at 6AM with updates every two hours throughout the day.
If you’re like me and have procrastinated on de-cluttering (or just need to get all your Winter clothing swapped over to Spring), this will be a great time to tackle those chores too. Hopefully you can join in, and we’ll motivate one another together to get it done!

Comments

1. does anyone know how to clean a memory foam topper? We had an incident the other night and it was a really expensive purchase. How do you clean those suckers??

2. Jan Lutgen says:

What about the sleep number beds…you cannot flip the mattress.

• Lynn a. says:

On my sleep number bed, it’s an older model, I just unzip the top and take it to the coin laundry and use one of those really big front loaders and wash the whole thing, then bring it hone and lay it on top of my car in the sun to dry. Then zip it back on. I would not dry it in a dryer though, it could shrink enough that you couldn’t zip it back on.

3. Jan Lutgen says:

What about the sleep number beds…you cannot flip the mattress.

4. I am going to try this!! How do I know if our vacuum is able to pick up baking soda?

5. Susan McCollor says:

I add a teaspoon of fabric softener to the backing soda then sprinkle on the mattress. Let it set for an hour.

6. Billie-Jo Maxcey says:

Yep cant flip our mattress. I just rotate. I do comforter and shams every other week here…major allergy issues in our house. Baking soda works great though, do that every few months

7. Margaret Broughton Austin says:

Any bedding you can soak in the SUN will benefit, also. Toppers, pillows, any and all clean bedding can benefit from this treatment. Just put it on a clean sheet on the deck or patio and let it sit for a few hours in the sunlight. Try to turn it over midway so both sides get the cleansing benefit of the sun. AWESOME! The smell will take you back to the days of clotheslines and sheets flapping in the wind!!!

8. Mary A Francis says:

Why wouldn't a rug shampooer with upholstry attachment work to clean memory foam or any other mattress and use the upholstry cleaners for your product then let it air real good outside in fresh air and sun to get it dried good

Trackbacks