25 Time Saving Computer Tips Day 2: Sticky Notes

Ready for another new computer trick to just make your online time happier? I learned this little trick years ago, and it’s a great way to keep information that I need close at hand when working on the computer.

They’re called sticky notes, and just like you would create a real sticky note with pen and paper, you can easily have a virtual one available on your computer. Here we go . . .

Sticky Notes

What’s the trick?

On your computer (with the exception of a Mac) type in “sticky notes” in the little blue window button in the bottom left-hand corner of your computer screen. If your computer has them, they’ll pop right up!  On a Mac computer, look up “stickies” (to easily look up something on a mac, click the command + space key at the same time and your spotlight box will open up.)

What does it do?

It adds a virtual “post it note” to your computer screen – so if you see something you want to save, or have a list of items you want to get done, you can keep all the information handy right there!

When should you use it?

I use it for my to-do lists as well as for codes that I frequently use. You can also use it to save a code (for example, if you’re making an online purchase but need to hang onto a certain code, stick it in your post it note so you don’t lose it!)

Your turn now! Go try out that sticky note feature and let me know what you think. ;)

Stop back by tomorrow night when I’ll have another tip for  you, and if you have any other great time saving computer tips to share, leave a note in the comments section so I can include them!

Comments

1. Kimberly Grooms Darnell says:

that is pretty nifty

2. Aunt Amanda says:

Awesome! Thanks now I don't have to get up and look for my notebook and pen.

3. Lisa Kathleen Shay Fouch says:

am I the only one who can't find the "little blue window button at the bottom left side of your computer screen?" I'm not on a Mac…

4. this is a great way to keep up ,Now if it would ring or beep to help me remember the note…..lol…

5. its under the round icon that's always there just click on it then the box will appear…if u need more help just ask

6. Great tip! As a paralegal, I can't believe I never knew about this all these years. Will come in most handy when I get assignments on the fly.

7. Judy Hooker says:

I had them on Windows 7 but have not found them on 8 and 8.1

8. Tammie says:

This is cool! I thought it went off the screen—it did in a way, but the “sticky note” icon is at the bottom of the screen—don’t know the correct lingo– and when I click on that, it opens back up on the right side of my screen for me to read.

9. Joan Ferrentino says:

Use the Search box to find your sticky notes.

10. Lisa Kathleen Shay Fouch says:

I have Windows 8 – maybe that's my problem…

• Gertie says:

1. On Windows 8, use the charms to search for “sticky notes.” You probably won’t get past “st” before the application link show up.
      2. They’re in other colors too. right-click the sticky to see a selection of blue, green, pink, purple and white.
      3. Move the cursor to the sticky and begin typing.
      4. Do the same as #3 to edit.
      5. To re-size, place the cursor at either bottom corner and drag to desired size.

Love those tips Gertie – thanks so much for sharing!

• Jeanne says:

GREAT ADVISE!! I just tried it and it worked! I cannot believe I have never done this! I see on Laurie’s screen she had multiple notes. How do you do that? Thanks!

• Jeanne says:

Just found out how to do multiple ones at the same time. After you have the one, go back to the Window Start icon, click and you’ll see the sticky notes listed, click, then chose the “new note”. I love it and I love that you can right click on the note to change the color! I REALLY need this. I have 3 paper sticky notes hanging from my screen..that is so OLD SCHOOL NOW! Thanks so much everyone!

11. Lisa Kathleen Shay Fouch says:

I have Windows 8 – someone said they can't find it with Windows 8 either…

12. Dear Laurie,

Thanks for today’s tip – especially the bonus how to find things on the Mac (Command + Space). I’m new to Mac and need lots of help so this is perfect timing for me : )

Hi Crystal! I’m completely addicted to the command keys on the mac – if you see things that you’re frequently thinking “I wish their was a command key on that”, there probably is ;) Hopefully the tips will help, but google search those tricks too because that’s how I’ve found the few that I do know! So glad it helps :)

13. Jessica says:

I can only free-write with my mouse…do you know how to get it to type into it? I’ve tried to change it but can’t find the settings anywhere. Thanks!

14. Stephanie Stacy Doherty says:

What if you only use an iPad?

15. Jenny Davidson says:

Great tip , one thing my 3 yr granddaughter showed me is you can hide the sticky notes. At first thought omg she deleted them not good but then realized all she did was click on the sticky notes icon on the bottom of the screen and poof gone off the desktop. Click the sticky note icon again they are back YEAH ! !

16. Sandra says:

Can you edit sticky notes?

17. Louise King says:

I have windows 8 and can't find sticky notes. Any ideas?

18. Vicki says:

I’ve used sticky notes for ages. I keep one note with library card numbers for the whole family and another with dates due at the various libraries we use with an initial. I make it a point to check daily and avoid fines.

19. Diane Mullis Brandes wow never knew it was there funny all the hidden secrets yet to find