25 Time Saving Computer Tips Day 1: The “Find” Button

I have such an exciting new 25 days series for you! If you’re like me (and not the most internet-savvy-geek on the block), you may get frustrated spending way too many hours online each looking for deals or reading your favorite blogs. So, for the month of March, I’ll be sharing a new series including 25 Time Saving Computer Tips which should help you save time as well as money!

Because I spend way more hours online than I care to admit each week, I’m constantly looking for ways to do things more quickly and efficiently.  And, thanks to a few years of blogging, there are quite a few tricks I’ve learned that really have made my life a little less stressful! Each night, watch for one more (easy!) tip, then spend the next day mastering it so you can save time too. Here’s tonight’s first trick (and quite possibly my all-time favorite):

Control + F Shortcut

What’s the trick?

Press control (or command if you use a Mac) + F at the same time

What does it do?

It will place a small box in the top of your screen that allows you to search for a specific word on the page you’re currently on.

When should you use it?

Looking for a certain coupon or item that you know was on a long list of deals? Type it in and the information will be highlighted on your page, so you don’t have to scan through a ton of information.

Any extra info?

On the right side of the screen you’ll see markers up and down the page that shows where that word was found. Scroll up and down to see it every time it was listed on the page!

Your turn now! Go try out that Ctrl+F feature like crazy if you haven’t before, and then tell me how much you love it. (I know you will!) My friend Shannon’s hubby taught it to her and me after we both got so frustrated when looking at a huge list of deals, and we both sing its praises at least once a week!

Stop back by tomorrow night when I’ll have another tip for  you, and if you have any other great time saving computer tips to share, leave a note in the comments section so I can include them!

Note: Note that these will vary some by your browser – for ecample in Google Chrome, you’ll see the search box at the top however in Mozilla the search bar will pop up at the bottom. Let me know if you find anything else different using another browser!

Comments

1. Mary Hack Kalwite says:

Love this time saver…:)

2. I love it! Thank you. I just tried it and now I know I'll be using it a lot! I like that you're giving us one tip a day. I'm so easily overwhelmed. :)

3. Jelaine McCamish says:

I'm sure my tip is one you will already be sharing, but here it is: When you want to save something you see on the computer screen, whether it's on the internet or a computer program, do the following:

(1) Push the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard. The "Print Screen" key should be located on the right of your keyboard, one of the top level keys.
    (2) Next, open your word processing program (Word, Word Perfect, Notepad, etc.). On a blank page, right-click on your mouse.
    (3) A menu will come up. Click (regular left click) on "Paste".
    (4) The information you wanted will be on your page as an image in a table, which means you can size it to fit your page.

TO SIZE:
    (1) To size it, click on your image (your information). You'll see little boxes on the corners and middles of your table (your image).
    (2) Rest your mouse (do not click) over the image. You'll see a little mark that looks like an "x". If you click (regular left click) on your mouse, you will be able to move the image anywhere on the page you want.
    (3) If you rest your mouse (do not click) over one of the little corner (or middle) boxes, you'll see a diagonal line. If you click (regular left click), while also pulling your mouse down or out, you can size your image to fit your page.
    (4) To save your information, just go to "File", "Save as", name your file, then click on "save".

Thanks so much for the tips Jelaine! I have used that one (some) but don’t think about it too much… I appreciate you sharing it so much!

• Jessica says:

If you just push the Print Screen button it will copy everything (like a picture). If you want to be more choosy, click Alt and Print Screen at the same time and will only screen shot what’s open in your window.

Another shortcut I really like is to hold Shift then Click Tab, this is like a back button for when you’re typing.

4. How can we find out easily what the rest of the "F" keys work for?> Thank you for all of your time saving helps!

I’ll put together a list at the end of the series, but you should be able to google search “shortcut” computer keys to see a list of ideas that might help! :)

5. Tammie says:

Tried it today! Is it only for a list of items? Ex: you go to coupons.com, it will not work there?

Hi Tammie! It will work for any items on the page on coupons.com – but wouldn’t look for all of the coupons (so, if the coupon is on the page that you’re looking at it will find it, but it won’t find something on the second or third page if that makes sense?)

6. Debbie Owen Taylor says:

Great tip Thanks, Keep them coming.

• Jeanne says:

Thanks Jelaine..that was great. I just thought the print screen key wasn’t working. Didn’t know that was it a “copy” key instead. I love it! I love the control f idea, too. I am going to google control key commands. I use the control P key often to bring up the print screen and the control s key to save as.. Great advice..keep it up! I am on the computer most of the day and I am always looking for ways to come more efficient.

7. Wendy Pinnix Boyd says:

My computer highlights the word – that is so cool! Thank you for sharing!

8. Helen Birdsong-abate says:

What to do with iPad? Only computer…

9. Thank you for sharing your tips. Some of them I know, but some of them I don't. I'm loving it!