The Friday Fluff Up: Organize Your Cleaning Supplies (& What Cleaners Do You Use?)

I’ve been cleaning, and cleaning, and c.l.e.a.n.i.n.g. our home while it’s been on the market, and finally took some time yesterday to really organize my cleaning supplies. (I know folks, why on earth didn’t I think of that yet?)

I’ve always kept most of my cleaning supplies under the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, but it never fails that I walk into a room, see something else that needs tidying, and then waste so much time running to grab the right supplies.  So why not put it all together?  (Sometimes I’m shocked that I’ve been at this homemaker job for almost fourteen years and still don’t have these things figured out.) ;)

Here are the items that I felt like needed to be included:

• lots of rags (in fact, I just cut up another worn out towel yesterday because my stash was getting low)
  • vinegar (and sometimes Dawn dish soap – see why HERE)
  • baking soda
  • Lysol Wipes
  • Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
  • Old English (this is something I just started using thanks to our home stagers recommendations on our kitchen cabinets – it’s amazing but be sure to wipe it all off!)
  • Swiffer Dusterslots of them ;) (these are such a splurge, but I love them and they make cleaning go so much quicker!)
  • Windex (I prefer this homemade window cleaner, but in a hurry the Windex is just more convenient)
  • Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
  • Lysol Disinfectant
  • Toilet Bowl Cleaner (any brand)
  • Bona wood floor cleaner
  • Pledge – I don’t use it very often but it’s there just in case (I think I got several bottles for free at KMart three years ago and just have never used them up) ;)
  • Vacuum (this is the one I use)
  • laundry basket – to pick up items that are out of place while I clean (because otherwise I tend to get distracted . . . anyone else?)
  • plastic grocery sacks to throw away any extra clutter/trash as I go

I didn’t mix up any of my favorite Homemade Soap Scum Remover because while it works really well it leaves a pretty strong vinegar smell – and right now my showers are fairly clean.  But, if you haven’t tried it before and have soap scum to get rid of, it’s worth checking out!

What’s on your list of absolute must-have cleaning supplies, and do you have a great way to organize them? Leave a comment to share your tips, I’m always looking for new ideas!

I’d love for you to join me over on Pinterest (I love that place!)  If you have a blog and have done a little fluffing in your home, I’d love to see it, so leave your link in the comments section. Also, if there’s a craft you’ve seen on a website that you’re hoping to make, feel free to share that link as well (I’m always looking for new ideas!)

See more previous Friday Fluff Up projects and ideas . . . and Happy Fluffing!

Comments

1. Jennifer Paxton Clark says:

This post makes me want to clean!!

That’s so funny Jennifer! I’m finishing up my blog stuff for the afternoon, and was just thinking I’m ready to clean a little more. (I think if I didn’t share deals here, I’d love a job cleaning all day long!) :)

2. Amie says:

I love Invisible Glass. It is by far the best glass cleaner I have used. I usually find it in the car cleaner isle of Walmart. It is a little pricey, but so worth it because It doesn’t streak and you only have to wipe it one time and it is clean! I also like Mean and Green. You cand get it at Dollar General or Walmart. I use it to get greasy stains out of laundry. My daughter loves ranch dressing and always seems to drop it on her clothes ;) so I just squirt it on there and throw it in her laundry basket and it comes clean when I get around to doing her laundry. I also use it to clean my kitchen and bathroom.

3. Angela says:

You can also use undiluted white vinegar to clean mirrors and windows, no need to add anything else. If you prefer, you can dilute I with equal parts water. I haven’t found a window yet it wouldn’t clean. I also tend to just mix up your homemade soap scum remover and end up using it for everything in the bathroom; it really works well. I don’t find that the vinegar smell lingers for very long at all. To me it just smells clean! Also, if you have any towels that are starting to smell a little (or a lot) musty/mildewy then you can add a cup or so of white vinegar to your washing machine with your regular detergent (this would be for a large load). It does not leave a smell at all and it works like a charm!

I’ve never tried using plain vinegar Angela – I’ll have to try it (that would be so easy!) I do use vinegar in my washing machine (it also works as fabric softener – and so much less expensive.) ;) Thanks for the tips!

• Cheryl Mayes says:

I always use vinegar when washing everything. It is especially good when washing blacks or any dark colors to help keep the colors from fading. My daughter wears a lot of dark colors and they look practically brand new.

4. I enjoy reading your posts. I love the idea of taking the laundry basket and plastic bags along. Recently I've learned an easier, environmentally friendly way to clean with just water and a cloth, which is what I use for everything from glass to wood to walls now. And the mop pads are not disposable. Buy a set and they pay for themselves in the first year. I'm not posting gimmicks, but invite you to look up Norwex on youtube. Let me know what your thoughts are.

5. Regina says:

I use the cleaner blue wolf, you can purchase it at Walmart, if you have set in stains that are impossible to remove, try blue wolf. Wet the garment first, then spray with blue wolf,add a little detergent and rub stain. It should disappear, if not completely spray again and it should be gone. I’ve used it to remove blood , grease stains, grass stains ,and about every stain you could think of.

6. Heather says:

Norwex!!!! I use just Norwex microfiber cloths and water! That’s it…..no vinegar or chemical smells at all! Since it’s just the cloths for the majority of my cleaning, they are just folded in a drawer!