Friday Fluff Up: Have You Staged Your Home Before?

We’re just starting the process of getting our home ready to put on the market. Ugh. (I’m really having a hard time with this whole moving thing ~ if you all could say a prayer for me to toughen up a bit that would be just wonderful!)

love our home, and while I’m a little excited about the new adventure ahead of us, I can’t imagine I’ll ever have another place that feels like home as much our house does right now. (Of course, I thought that about my last house too, so I know it’ll be just fine. Just hard in the midst of it!)

Anyways, after meeting with our realtor (who we found thanks to the Dave Ramsey’s ELP program), he mentioned that they normally have someone “stage” homes prior to selling, and while I hope it won’t need a ton of changes, I knew our playroom was somewhere that could use some attention.

I tried to get pictures this morning to show what it looked like before, and while the room isn’t awful, they didn’t look like all the cute ones I’ve dreamed about over HERE. (Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just snap your fingers and have a Pinterest-ed house?) After spending about $50 and 30 minutes of time, I think we’re on the right track though now. Here’s a peek . . .

(these first pics are from my phone because my regular camera lens just wouldn’t shoot a picture that wide, but you’ll get the idea!)

Can you see those pillows? I sewed them myself quite a few years ago but did a terrible job ~ it was time for them to go!  And the bookshelves were just filled up with clutter.

20140124-124523.jpg

I’m sure the home stager will have more suggestions for me, but here’s what I did to get started:

• Purchased new pillows and a blanket at TJ Maxx ~ they were all on clearance except for the Smile pillow that was $17.99, but I fell in love!
  • Packed up extra books so the shelves weren’t so cluttered
  • “Shopped” my kids bedrooms for things to add to the shelves – it helped de-clutter their rooms and gave me free items to work with!

Have you “staged” your home to sell before to sell, or just done a few things to de-clutter so that you can enjoy them? I’d love to hear your tips/suggestions/ideas as we’re getting ready ~ I love hearing from you!

This post is linked to Living Well Spending Less Thrifty Thursday.  Thanks for the opportunity to link up! I’d love for you to join me over on Pinterest (I love that place!)  If you have a blog and have done a little fluffing in your home, I’d love to see it, so leave your link in the comments section. Also, if there’s a craft you’ve seen on a website that you’re hoping to make, feel free to share that link as well (I’m always looking for new ideas!)

Comments

1. jim says:

Hang in there Laurie!

That was one of the nice things Lee did for us. She came in and set up our house. It made all the difference. She made us clear out everything and make the space more open. It really helped us detach from the house and begin packing. Moving is hard so now that we are three weeks from closing we are way ahead of the game because Lee put us in packing mode ha ha.

You will find a great new home…change is good!

Thanks Jim! We’re definitely anxious about it (love it so much here!), but are excited about a new home too. The clearing out part does make it a little easier to get ready to go though!

2. jim says:

One Sunday after you are here go to Cap City Diner (Cameron Mitchell) with the family for brunch. It is a treat to eat at his restaurants. Buy the gift cards at Giant Eagle ha ha for Cameron Mitchell restaurants. One of the upsides to Central Ohio is we have Cameron Mitchell and his many flavors of food. He has some of the best food in town.

3. Alice says:

Laurie, you don’t have anything to worry about. Your home is already beauiful and so family friendly. You shouldn’t have any problem selling it. I’m still sad that you all are moving. :(

4. sandy says:

We are on this road to sell, too! We tried to sell a few years ago and I had fun staging for the agent tour and open houses. I had the dining room table set for a lady’s birthday party! Favors at every place, pretty cloth napkins in a fancy fold, pastel m& ms, and a decorated ‘cake’ on a glass footed cake plate. (Real frosting on Styrofoam cake blanks on a real cake board.)
    The guest room had pretty bedding, folded back as though someone had just got up, a breakfast in bed tray with a real croissant (fresh from the bakery!), real jam and a thermal pot of coffee! The agents all commented positively about the staging. I had fun doing it and will do it again.
    You are on the right track by being open to staging and Decluttering. Best wishes for a speedy sale!

Love those tips Sandy – good luck to you as you get ready to sell as well! There’s just so much to do ~ after being here 8 years we’ve got a lot of de-cluttering to do!

5. Janet Armour says:

I've done it twice now. The idea is to allow buyers to see their stuff in the house. Both times I packed much and put it, and some extra furnishings into storage. I don't think you need to pay to stage your home. Depersonalize by removing family photos, etc., that allow others to see their things in the home instead of yours. My last house sold in 16 days in a buyer's market with this strategy and lots of prayer. :)

6. susan says:

YOU’RE MOVING???? What will I ever do without my cyberfriend, Laurie, to help me save money? OHIO? Wishing you all the best and will say a prayer for the sale of your house and blessings for your family.

I’ll still be right here Susan! And thankfully Shannon will still be here in Alabama to keep up with Southeastern deals, and hopefully I’ll be able to hunt down a few Midwestern deals too. My prayer is that the site won’t change much (at least I hope!), but maybe just add more deals from other areas. Thank you so much for your prayers (we could use them!)

7. MaryLena Anderegg says:

Keep a flat plastic tote small enough to fit under your bed to do a quick “ret-up” of personal items before a showing. The smell of vinegar or cinnemon gives a welcome to “suspects.”
    But, my real idea makes all your closets look bigger: pack ALL out of season clothes for storage along with half your linens. Also, pack half your in season clothes in your luggage!

8. Teri says:

I tried to find some older posts talking about your move, but can’t find it. I saw something about Central Ohio in the comments above. Are you moving to Columbus by chance? I was born and raised there, and my family is still there. Best of luck!