Frugal Frozen Fun In Alabama

Thought you all might enjoy a peek of what we have to do for fun around here in Alabama. ;)   While the rest of the South was cozy warm inside watching the big game last night, my thirteen year old hauled buckets of water to the driveway so he’d have his own ice rink to play on this morning. I’m popping dinner in the crockpot right now, and will be back with more penny pinched deals in just a bit!

(our frozen “waterfall” out back – crazy!)

Comments

1. Brilliant! Love the enthusiasm of kids!!

Last night I kept complaining about him making it, but this morning they had the best time on it thanks to the two hour delay :) Hoping it’ll last til school’s out this afternoon…

2. Debra says:

Hi Laurie,
    I just found you over the weekend! Love your site! Where in Alabama are you guys? We are in Mobile and have a 2 hour delay as well. One of our schools was without power, so I kept one of my children at home. I couldn’t bear him being in a cold school with no power. What a great idea you guys had! Stay warm!

• Bonnie says:

Hello!! We live in Baldwin county, Al and school is out today for us!! Thank goodness!! I want to keep the kids warm and worry about the school pipes!! Stay warm!!

• Debra says:

Thanks, you guys stay warm too. Yes, the elementary, middle and high school in our area were without power this morning. My youngest son is only in elementary school and the power did not come back on until start time, so I just kept him at home. He will have an easier time catching up, if they even did anything today. A lot of people in our area have been without power, but I believe most of it is back on. We just aren’t used to temperatures like this down here. :) I’m working from home with my little guy playing his Kindle by the fireplace this morning. It has been nice. :) I hope you guys enjoy your day.

Mobile even got delayed? Wow! We’re in North Alabama outside of Huntsville – I think they were having a hard time getting the heat working here too in the schools! So glad you found PPP :)

3. Sherri Rand says:

Looks like they had a great time!! Great idea!!!

4. Connie Smith Corey says:

Send him up to NY – we've got lots of snow and lots of hockey rinks!

5. Shannon C says:

Awesome thinking! Although I would probably forget and be the one to go down! LOL. Being down here in AL I sometimes miss my Illinois winters but then when I see all my friends posting pictures of blowing snow and cars in ditches I am ok with missing it!

I told him he could not put it anywhere near the main part of our driveway – and even then I was terrified I’d fall! My hubby graduated from U of I, and it is COLD there… go Illini! :)

6. Bonnie says:

Hey Laurie!!

Looks like alot of fun!! School was out today for us Baldwin County folks, looks like school is out for y’all too!! Have fun and stay Warm!!

7. Tammie says:

I think that was pretty ingenious of your son to think of that! I live in north metro Atlanta, and our county’s schools are cancelled today, due to the cold temps. Today was supposed to be the first day to return back to school.

8. Laurie says:

They cancelled all the schools Tammie? Wow! Stay warm – and enjoy your kiddos today! :)

9. laura says:

Wow! Wish we had of thought of that ! Lol
    Were in North Alabama , it was 5 degrees when we got up this morning! Today is our 2nd day of no school. My daughter and I took advantage of the cold and made ” giant ice marbles” we had seen on pintrest, but a iced driveway would have been a hoot!

10. Dawn says:

Great idea! I am in Ohio and we got a foot of snow and it is -40 with the wind chills. I have never felt such cold weather. Our schools have been closed all week and just got the call that they are closed tomorrow! We are hoping for a warm up soon:)

11. Love the hat!!!

12. Katherine Lundgren-frias says:

Love, love, love … smart kid(s).

13. Addie Camacho says:

I am in fl. Looks like you have very smart fun loving kids!

14. Diane Hill Boyer says:

My son "iced" up our sidewalks to ice skate in his sneakers. Really? Almost broke my neck getting the mail.

15. Cheryl Carlile McCoy says:

We are in N AL and made snow last night for $20. There is a video on YouTube. I think we have to try your idea next.