Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
You have no excuse to pay full price for calzones ever again. Seriously. We made this last night, my family gobbled it all up, and I was just wishing I’d doubled up on the recipe. Since Publix has their store bought pizza dough on sale this week, I’ll be stocking up and popping it in the freezer. (Thanks to PPP reader Susan for letting me know it freezes well!)
Reagan was a wee bit excited while helping out in the kitchen
You can add absolutely whatever you like to make a calzone (I think we’ll try Barbecue Chicken Calzones next time), and you just can’t mess it up. Here’s the recipe we tried out, but I’d love to hear what other versions you’ve made too using store bought pizza dough too!
- store bought pizza dough (we used one of the Publix refrigerated doughs, but you could also use a similar Pillsbury crust or make your own)
- 8 oz Italian sausage
- pepperoni (optional)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
- Parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cook sausage over medium heat in skllet.
- Once sausage is cooked, remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms, spinach and water to skillet.
- Cook mushrooms and spinach on low heat until spinach wilts and mushrooms soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add sausage back to pan.
- Combine ricotta, mozzarella Italian seasoning, red pepper, garlic salt and egg in mixing bowl.
- Dive dough into two equal portions. Roll out flat into a circle.
- Spread 1/2 ricotta mixture onto each calzone.
- Top with sausage mixture, making sure to leave space around the edges.
- Add half of the mozzarella to each calzone.
- Fold crust over and press tightly to seal.
- Brush calzones with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Transfer to baking sheet or pizza pan and bake for 15-25 minutes until dough is cooked through.
- Serve with marina sauce ~ enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 7/10/13):
- Publix Pizza Dough Buy One Get One Free (find it in the bakery department)
- Caroline Pride Sausage on sale $2.50 at Kroger
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms $1.79 at Publix
- Barilla Pasta Sauce Buy One Get One Free $2.59 at Publix