Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
I made this recipe in hopes of finding something similar to Panda Express Orange Chicken. My son loves Panda Express, and I figured it would be a different way for us to eat chicken around here. (I don’t know about you, but with the price of beef so high we eat a lot of chicken at our house!) The recipe was really (really) good, but not at all like the Panda Express version (probably in part because I decided not to fry the chicken ~ we just don’t need the extra calories around here!) So, instead, we’ll just call it one dish Orange Chicken. (Yup, how’s that for creativity?)
My daughter inhaled the stuff, and every last bite was gobbled down last night for dinner. And, with the great sales this week on chicken it’s a great time to stock up! Here’s what you’ll need to get started. . .
- 1 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken, chopped in bite size pieces
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- (for sauce)
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp white vinegar
- zest of 1/2 orange
- For sauce, mix together soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp water, 5 tbsp sugar, 5 tbsp white vinegar, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in skillet.
- Add chicken, and saute until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from skillet and add another tablespoon of olive oil to skillet.
- Saute garlic for about 30 seconds in olive oil, then add red chili pepper flakes and green onions.
- Add red wine vinegar and stir, then add orange sauce mixture.
- Add in cooked chicken, and mix well.
- Stir 1/4 cup water into 1 tbsp cornstarch until smooth.
- Add to chicken mixture and heat sauce until it thickens.
- Stir in sesame oil and mix around.
- Serve over rice.
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 9/11/13):
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $2.99/lb. at Publix or Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $2.99 at Kroger
- Use $.50/1 Minute Rice