Homemade Carpet Cleaner

• Sumo

Homemade Carpet Cleaner - PINTEREST

I’m so excited about this little trick I learned today! I’ve had a stain on my (otherwise pretty clean) carpet for at least two years, and every single time I vacuum I wish I could come up with a way to get rid of it. So today I (*finally*) did a little research, and found a homemade cleaner that worked just perfectly. Now, I have no idea what the stain was (it’s been there for a long time), but this took whatever it was right out. Here’s how to try it out if you’ve got a stain that’s making your crazy too:

• Mix together equal parts white vinegar and 3% hydrogen peroxide (I used 2 tablespoonfuls of each)
  • Spray or dab vinegar & peroxide into carpet and let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
  • Gently blot with a clean dry cloth ~ all done!

Be sure to test the mixture on a small hidden area of carpet that won’t be seen prior to using, as I’ve heard peroxide can bleach out color on carpet. (Since mine is a light color, this wasn’t a problem, but I definitely don’t want that happening to you!)  I’d love to know what other tips  you have for removing stains from carpet, and let me know if it works for you.

Looking for more penny pinched cleaning ideas? Here are my favorites:

This post is linked up to Follow our Thrift – thanks for the opportunity to link up!

Print Friendly and PDF

Comments

1. Thanks for this fabulous recipe Laurie! Pinning this to my Pinterest board now!

2. Also, Huggies Natural care baby wipes cleans even long standing stains.

3. Giving it a try today! My carpet is trashed, but we keep trying to make it work…. I am going to fill my cleaner tank with it and see how it works. Can’t make it any worse. My next desperate experiment will be to dump a box of RIT dye in the tank and blend the stains in with a darker color (my good carpet looks like your bad carpet, color, stains ,all of it)

4. Andrea McMonagle says:

Ahhhh!! I need to try this…the carpet in my playroom is white…(allegedly ) ^_^

5. Stacy Psaros says:

Just saw it. Lmk how it works for you. I have some cat stains that just won't come out…

6. Debra Stanley Hanger says:

You don't need to use the peroxide at all. Mix one cup white vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a spray bottle and just use that on you carpet stains. Works fabulous. Even on old stains, and you don't have to worry about it bleaching out your darker carpets. No need to worry about the smell either. It goes away as it dries.

7. Debra Stanley Hanger says:

I guess I would worry what it does to baby's skin if it works on carpet stains. Yikes!

8. Amanda Harper says:

I will be trying this for a carpet stain that is 2 yrs old, hope it works. Nothing else seems to do the trick.
    I just wanted to share my very favorite Homemade Laundry Detergent that I have used for nearly a year now and have saved money and is SAFE for H.E. WASHERS because my parents also use it in their H.E. washer. It is also safe for very sensitive skin, my childeren and I have exzema and other sensitivities and this cleans our clothes without us breaking out in hives, like other laundry detergents do. Here is the link where I got the recipe from; http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/03/super-concentrated-no-grate-liquid-laundry-detergent.html
    All it contains is Borax, Washing Soda, Dawn Dishsoap and hot water, so easy to make 🙂 ENJOY!

9. This is such a great tip. I love that it doesn’t use soap so there’s no residue leftover.

10. It'll prob work!!! Hydrogen peroxide takes out just about anything : ) I know it works on Blood 🙂 !!!!

11. I wonder if you could make a larger quantity and use this in a bissel

• I would be careful to try a small amount of it on a portion of carpet you can’t see – I wouldn’t want it to hurt your carpet Cheri!

12. When I clean my carpets with a Bissell, I mix vinegar and Borax with hot water. Much cheaper than carpet cleaners and it got old mulberry stains out of my beige carpet. I know I should measure but I just pour some in.

• Do you think this would work on my cloth car seats also? Between my daughter when in high school eating her breakfast and drinking her coffee to my 2 grandboys, they look horrid.

13. Julie Lorraine says:

does anyone have the mixture amounts to clean grout? it was posted on my fb but i can't find it now.

14. Julie Lorraine says:

YES !! thankyou my friend :):)

15. This must be where I thought I saw it. My son decided to take off his clothes and diaper last night and poop everywhere this morning. We cleaned up the excess poo and headed out the door. This evening I just sprinkled some baking soda on the mess, and some hydrogen peroxide (didn’t think about vinegar since it was all the way downstairs), let it sit for a couple of min while I located a scrub brush. Scrubbed the area for a couple of minutes and then vacuumed, it looks awesome! I never would’ve thought it would be that easy to clean up!

16. I used liquid diswasher detergent in my carpet cleaner along with vinegar and hot water and it did a great job cleaning my light colored burber carpeting. I went over it a second time with just hot wayer. Looks good.

17. I'm gonna try this I spilled coffee on my beige carpet and left a huge stain hope it works!

18. I'm out of peroxide @ this time, do you think the dawn dish soap & vinagar will work on carpet stains made by certain foods????

• Shelley says:

I wouldn’t use anything soapy like Dawn. I’d be afraid it,would attract more dirt later, especially if it didn’t get rinsed out enough.

19. I washed by refrigerator shelves in the tub using bleach. Worked really well!

20. I love homemade carpet cleaners! I would love to try it! I clean carpets everyday so I will have the chance to try it tomorrow! Thank you! Greetings, Cleaners Up Ltd.

21. Terri Liortega says:

can you use that carpet spot cleaner in a carpet cleaner?

22. What cleans stailinless steel appliances without streaks BOBBIE