I’m so excited to start out this very first post in our 25 Days of Slow Cooking recipes series! I’ll let you know up front that these posts will be pretty short and sweet . . . maybe a few quick words at the top along with any tips about the recipe, but know that each recipe I share are tried and true ones that our family really enjoyed.
(I love food bloggers who have tons of great witty things to write about all the methods of their cooking, but in all honesty, I’m a penny-pinchin’ momma with three busy kids, a pretty hopping website, and way too much running around inside my head to have any room left for more than a quick few words about how good it is. Just trust me, you’ll like ’em!)
We tried out this recipe for slow cooker meatloaf this week, and when I shared it over on Facebook I was surprised at how many people asked for the recipe. It’s incredibly easy, and if you already have a favorite meatloaf recipe, you could easily substitute it for this one, then just cook in your crock pot following these directions. I was tickled that it actually worked!
I am not a girl who likes meatloaf, but this is one might-fine meatloaf. My husband loves the stuff and it was a treat for him, so if you have a meat-loaf-lovin’-man at home you’ll make him very happy. And I never think pictures of meatloaf look all that appetizing . . . but I promise, this one is good. 😉
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine first six ingredients in large bowl.
- Add in beef and mix well.
- Shape into loaf.
- If you have a large slow cooker, put loaf in loaf pan and then place in slow cooker (that's what we did.) If you don't have a larger slow cooker, you can cook this directly in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours.
- Mix together ketchup, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire.
- Spoon over meat loaf after it has cooked.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes, or until heated.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving. (Be sure to let it stand, as otherwise it will fall apart very easily.)
Need a slow cooker to get started? Here are a few decent deals on Amazon:
- Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker for just $29 (regularly $39.99)
- Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker $49, regularly $59.99
- Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel $79.99 (regularly $119.99)
- Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cookerto $46 (regularly $110)