Sam’s Vs. Aldi’s Price Checks

I made a quick run to Sam’s & Aldi’s today, and thought you all might like a few price updates! They both had a few fun items on after-Christmas clearance, plus a few other everyday low prices you may want to add to your stock up price list. Here’s what I found:

20130102-120659.jpg

Sam’s Club

• Bananas $1.36/3 lbs. ($.45/lb.)
  • Grapes $6.50/3 lbs. ($2.15/lb.)
  • Cuties $5.98/5 lbs. ($1.19/lb.)
  • Apples $6.98/5 lbs. ($1.39/lb.)
  • Milk $3.05 for skim, $3.37 for 1% or 2%
  • Large Pizza $7.79
  • Pork Chops $2.18/lb.
  • Boneless Pork Loin $1.99/lb.
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $1.77/lb.
  • Beef Round Tip Roast $3.86/lb.
  • Salmon $6.98/lb.
  • Ground Beef $3.18/lb.
  • Welch’s Jelly 2-pack $3.36 (this looked like a decent price to me)
  • Flour $4.76 5 lb. bag
  • Sugar $4.98 10 lb. bag
  • Cinnamon 18 oz. On Sale $3.45 (this is a FANTASTIC price ~ I was pretty excited to grab that one!)

20130102-121942.jpg

Aldi’s

• Bananas $.44/lb.
  • Carrots $.99 per small bag
  • Cuties $5.98/5 lbs. ($1.19/lb.)
  • Yellow Onions $1.69/3 lb. bag ($.56/lb.)
  • Apples $2.99/3 lbs. ($.99/lb.)
  • Milk $2.79/lb.
  • Eggs $.99/dozen
  • String Cheese $2.49
  • Fruit Cups $1.69/4 pack
  • Orange Juice $1.89
  • Large Pizza $5.99
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $2.49/lb.
  • Tyson Ground Chicken $2.69/lb.
  • Jennie O Ground Turkey $3.49/lb.
  • Butter $2.29/lb.

I was also super excited to get Christmas colored marshmallows at Aldi’s for $.25 per bag (woot!), and the cutest Rice Krispies Train Kit for just $3.91 at Sam’s Club. (It was regularly $9.99, and included all the items to make the Rice Krispies plus the plastic molds for the train. . . my kids are ready for me to go start making those now!) While I usually stick to Publix or Kroger for deals, I think Sam’s and Aldi’s offer consistently the best prices on milk, eggs, meat and fresh produce, so I love when I have a few minutes to run in and stock up! We bought a ton of fresh fruit at Sam’s because it looked so good and my kids love it, so it worked out well to spend a little extra more while trying to stick to fewer processed foods in 2013.

Do you usually shop Sam’s, Aldi’s or Costco for certain items? I’d love to hear what you find at the best prices while you’re there!

Comments

1. faith says:

Aldi in Decatur had tons of deals today! Bread was $0.49 a loaf. Alfredo sauce was $0.69 a jar, and fire roasted tomatoes were $0.49/can. I also got blueberry pancake mix for $0.79 and Krustez lemon bar mix for $0.99. Just look for the hand-written signs for the best deals!

They had a ton of hand written signs at our store too – but $.49 per loaf of bread is amazing! I saw Krusteaz mixes but they were still $1.99… you did great Faith. :)

2. Kimberly R says:

I used to shop mostly at Publix, using coupons and BOGO items, but now I buy most items from Aldi. Aldi consistently has the best prices on basics like milk, butter, eggs and fresh produce. There other products are just as good as the brand name items. Potato chips, cookies, juice boxes,cheese, yogurt are priced great and taste great also. They often mark stuff down, have gotten bread for 25 cents and yogurt for 10 cents and a pot roast for 5 dollars. You can’t beat their sales, I mean 10 lbs of potatoes for 1.49. ( We ate a lot of potatoes that week) Still try to hit some sales at Target and Publix for some items, but I am really loving Aldi!!! I live in the Atlanta area and have noticed that our prices are even lower than those you post each week. Love, Love your site!!!!

I was thinking when I was at Aldi’s yesterday that if I ever got tired of couponing, it wouldn’t be too hard to stick to a decent budget at Aldi’s. Publix is soooo much closer for me (and I just love my coupons so much….) that I think I’ll always coupon there, but it is so nice to have an alternative, and I think it’s a great way to easily save without much effort. Thanks so much for sharing Kimberly! :)

3. Michele says:

I made a price book (price/per unit) comparing Costco and Aldi, since the quantities and volume of the products vary so much. I’m happy to put it on a spreadsheet and email it if you are interested. The prices were recorded a couple of months ago. I do most of my shopping at Aldi, but Costco beats their prices on some things. Also, starting Wednesday, Aldi will have a new line of products that are all natural, including lots of organics. I’m excited!

If you wouldn’t mind sharing it I would love to see it Michele! Not sure how we could make it available for others, but I can work on that. If it’s not to hard to move to a spreadsheet, you can email it to me at contact @ passionatepenny pincher.com (leave out spaces.) Thank you so much!

• Jamia says:

That’s exciting that natural and organic foods are coming to Aldi! Aldi and Trader Joe’s are owned by the same people, so I bet they will get a lot of their products. I have noticed a few items that I’ve only seen at Trader Joe’s popping up as specials at Aldi every once in awhile-like their yummy gorgonzola cheese torte with cranberries available only around the holidays. Since we moved in 2011, we are no longer near a Trader Joe’s so having more natural and organic foods at Aldi will be great!

• Kym says:

I would love to see your spreadsheet comparing costco and aldi . Would you mind sending that to me as well please! kyfong@lcmail.lcsc.edu Thank you!

• Susan says:

I would really like to see your spreadsheet for aldi vs. costco. Could you send it to me also? earlnews@netins.net. Thanks so much!

• Michele says:

Oh my gosh, I am just now seeing this, LOL! I completely forgot to check back to see if you, Laurie, wanted the spreadsheet. So sorry! I honestly don’t even know how I managed to get back to this post. I think I did a google search for “Aldi vs. Costco” and this popped up. :) My prices are 6-8 months old, but I am happy share it if you are still interested. Let me dig it out and I can email it.

4. Dee Wolters says:

I just love Aldi! We live in the country (20 minute drive to town) but Aldi is the closest store. They have consistantly the lowest prices on what I buy most: dairy, produce, cereal, etc. Sam’s is 1 hr away, so I go about 8 times a year, whenever we head to the city for something else. I like to buy the following there: TP, flour (25# bag), brown and powdered sugar, cinnamon, yeast, cocoa, non-stick cooking spray (their bakers brand is better than PAM and costs A LOT less), dog food, dishwasher soap. From time to time I will buy produce, depending on our supply at home. While Sam’s has a good price on the things I buy, I don’t make a special trip, but save up, or buy a bit ahead if we are heading that way.

I’m the same was as you – we’re 20 minutes to Sam’s also, and it’s rare that it’s worth it to me to head in, but every once in awhile I do make the trip! I’m seriously considering making a trip once every 2-3 weeks though because my kids absolutely love their fruit (our Aldi’s is okay, but just not as fresh), and I love them snacking on grapes and apples instead of junk food. Trying to figure out how my budget is going to adjust to handle that! :)

5. Jamia says:

I was surprised to find a 4 lb bag of oranges for $1.49 yesterday at our Aldi here in Indiana! I buy a lot of staples at Aldi. I love their baby wipes too. They are strong and don’t smell funny like some brands and are only 99 cents for 72ct package. I wish our eggs were as cheap as yours. Occasionally they make it to 99 cents, but are usually $1.29…and yesterday I paid $1.49.