If you’ve never made these simple Ham and Swiss Sliders before, oh my heavens you need to try them out very soon. I promise, they’re that good, and they’d be perfect on game day! First of all, I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to mess up a King’s Hawaiian Roll (you can use a plain ole’ bakery roll, but there’s something just perfect about those Sweet Rolls that makes everything taste divine . . . ), and secondly ~ well ~ butter, onion, honey ham and Swiss . . .need I say more?
You won’t believe my not-so-penny-pinched story though about these sliders. I made them to take to a party and sent my sweet-amazing-wonderful husband to pick up the ingredients (as of course I was running way behind.) I didn’t give him very precise amounts of just what we needed though ~ I assumed enough ham and cheese for 24 sliders was all the information necessary?
He headed to Publix, told the sweet bakery lady that he needed enough supplies for 24 sandwiches, and came home with two pounds of ham, a full pound of Swiss cheese, and a $30 grocery bill. Eek! Needless to say, we’ll be eating ham and Swiss for the next few weeks. (So much for my penny-pinchin’ husband ~ I learned my lesson!) You should have plenty with about 3/4 pound of ham and at the very most 1/3 pound of Swiss ~ hopefully those will help you pinch those pennies this week. (And by the way, I noticed Sam’s Club had the giant bags of Hawaiian’s Rolls for $3.88 yesterday ~ that’s the best price I’ve seen!)
- 24 dinner rolls (we used King's Hawaiian Rolls)
- 24 slices ham
- 24 small slices Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp. poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. minced onion
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Mix Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise in small bowl.
- Cover both sides of the roll with mixture, then add a slice of ham and Swiss cheese inside each roll.
- Place rolls in large baking dish (we used 2 9x13 glass dishes)
- Mix together mustard, butter, onion and Worcestershire.
- Drizzle over rolls.
- Sprinkle with poppyseeds.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 2 minutes. Enjoy!
Here are the sale items you’ll want to watch for this week (1/16/13) to pinch those pennies on this meal:
- Hellmann’s Mayonnaise BOGO $4.74 at Publix
- Publix Sliced Cheese on sale $2 at Publix or Kroger Cheese on sale $1.99 at Kroger
- Hillshire Farms Lunch Meats on sale $3.33 at Publix, use $0.55/1 Hillshire Farm Lunchmeat printable stacked with $1/2 Hillshire Farm Deli Meat, exp. 1/25/13 (Publix Yellow Advantage)
- Or Hillshire Farms Lunch Meats on sale $3 at Kroger, use $0.55/1 Hillshire Farm Lunchmeat printable
- French’s Yellow Mustard on sale $1 at Kroger, use $0.30/1 French’s Mustard printable
- Use $1/1 Kings Hawaiian Round Bread or Kings Hawaiian Dinner Rolls, exp. 2/9/13 (RP 12/09/12 R)