It’s day four of our 12 Days of Christmas Baking Series, and I know several folks are starting to get their baking plans together for the weekend! If you’re like me and love red velvet cake (yum!), these Red Velvet Peppermint Crinkle Cookies are a great festive treat to add to your gotta-bake-this-year list.
- 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Betty Crocker SuperMoist Cake Mix, 15.25 to 19.25 oz box (excluding Pound Cake and Angel Food) – BOGO $1.99, use $0.60/2 Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Ready to Spread Frosting printable, $0.75 off Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix AND Ready To Spread Frosting, exp. 1/7/12 (GM 11/13/11)
- 6 tablespoons butter $0.50/2 Land O’Lakes Butter Packages, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 10/23/11)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint or candy canes
- 1 cup powdered sugar Use $0.50/2 Domino Brown or Confectioners Sugar, exp. 12/31/11 (RP 10/16/11 R) or $0.75/2 Domino Sugar Product, exp. 1/31/12 (RP 12/04/11)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter & set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, stir together the cooled butter along with the cake mix, eggs, & peppermint extract.
- Add crushed peppermint & stir.
- Mix together powdered sugar and cornstarch with a fork in shallow bowl.
- Roll dough into a ball (will be sticky) and cover with powdered sugar (Sarah suggested using plenty of powdered sugar, see detailed pictures over HERE)
- Place balls on cooking sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies to expand.
- Bake for 9 minutes (they’ll look a little under-cooked, but will finish cooking outside the oven on the hot pan!) After cooling one minute, cook on wire rack.
Looking for more recipe ideas?