Homemade Christmas Potpourri

Homemade Potpourri

I just tried out a new recipe for Homemade Christmas Potpourri, and thought you might enjoy making it in your home too.  This is one of those times I’d give anything to “take a picture” of exactly how my house smells right now.  (That sounds crazy but there just aren’t words how to describe how perfect it is ~ so a smelling camera would be such a perfect invention right now!) If you can pretend, just imagine that it smells like the Christmas Season walked right on into our home today.

{I know, I know, some of you may think it’s way too early for Christmas around here, but I try to stretch it from the very first day of November all the way through ’til January 1st. Please be patient with me because there are just too many wonderful Christmas ideas to stuff them all into one month!}

When I was a kid my mom always used a small “potpourri” crockpot to make our house smell yummy, but I’m pretty sure they don’t sell those any more (at least I couldn’t find one on Amazon. . . )  However, you can easily make this at home with just a few basic ingredients that you might even have in your pantry, and your house will smell all fluffed up for the Holidays. ;)

Here’s what you’ll need:

• 1 orange, quartered
  • 1 tbsp. cloves
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • water
Homemade Potpourri
Directions
  • Combine all ingredients on stove top in small pan
  • Cover with water
  • Simmer on small burner on stove top over low heat
  • Add water as needed to freshen
Do you have another recipe that you use during the Holidays to make Christmas come to your home? I’d love to hear what you use, so take a minute and leave a comment to share!

Take a minute to join PPP on Pinterest (I love that place!)  See more previous Friday Fluff Up projects and ideas . . . and Happy Fluffing!

Interact with 11742+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!

Comments

1. Jennifer H says:

I add apples and nutmeg to the same ingredients you had. I let it simmer all day long and just add water as it needs it.

2. Tina says:

Laurie ,I wonder if one of those cute little lunch crock pot would work .I’ve saw those I know there was coupons out a month or so ago .

3. Heather says:

I have one very similar to this one. It works great, and I also use it to melt chocolate with a bit of oil in it instead of those chocolate fountains. Also to melt chocolate to make chocolate dipped Christmas gifts. Some days the children and I will use it just to have a snack. Yummy yummy!

4. amy says:

I have tried this and it is wonderful!

5. Mmm…. I have all of these ingredients! Do you just let it simmer even while you have company? I wondered if there was a way to dry it so you could keep it a little longer.

I wondered about that too Kalyn! I’m going to see how long I can just add water to it and keep it smelling yummy… but I’m thinking it’ll work for at least a few days ~ at least I hope so! :)

6. Cindi C says:

I have a small eletric Potpourri crockpot, got it at Walmart! I will be making this for sure thanks!!!

7. Jennifer Haley says:

I have the little dipper crock pot that came as a bonus to my “giant” crockpot. I use the little one as my potpourri pot. I add about a tbsp of oil in my potpourri concoction because there have been times I forget to add water throughout the day, and the oil helps the sugars of the mix from sticking to the pot. Also, we make a lot of homeade juices at home. I save the rinds and put them in the freezer so when I need to freshen the scent, the rinds work perfectly!