If you’re looking for an alternative Green Bean Casserole recipe for this Thanksgiving, this recipe is for you! While I like the traditional Cream of Mushroom Soup Green Bean Dish, I’m not a huge fan of cream soups so I thought we’d try this out.
Of course I still had to use French’s Onions because Green Bean Casserole without French’s Onions would just be wrong, but you could also take those out if your family doesn’t love them. Either way, this is a great alternative to the regular recipe, and a different dish to add to your Thanksgiving Feast. (And if you’re looking for a full meal to make this week with those yummy French’s Onions, try out my absolute favorite Heaven Sent Cheesy Baked Spaghetti recipe ~ I promise, you’ll love this one and it works great with all the sales this week!)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup French's Onions
- 3 cans French style Green Beans
- Heat oven to 350.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Saute onion until transparent, then stir in flour until smooth and cook one minute.
- Add in salt, sugar, and sour cream. Stir in green beans and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle French's onions on top, bake an additional 3-5 minutes.
Here are the sale items you’ll want to watch for this week:
- Del Monte Canned Vegetables BOGO $1.30 at Publix this week or on sale $1.33 at Kroger, use $0.50/4 Del Monte Green Beans printable; or
- Breakstone’s Sour Cream BOGO $2.60 at Publix this week or Kroger Sour Cream $1
- Sargento Shredded Cheese BOGO $3.99 at Publix this week or $2.29 at Kroger, use $0.50/2, $1/2 Sargento Shredded Cheese, exp. 12/1/12 (SS 11/04/12 R)
- French’s Onions $2.99 at Publix & Kroger, use 0.30/1 French’s French Fried Onions printable, $0.50/1 French’s French Fried Onions printable, or $1/1 French’s French Fried Onions, exp. 12/31/12 (SS 11/04/12)