I received a copy of Erin Chase’s new $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook, and have spent the last few days finally getting a chance to thumb through the book. (Don’t you just love looking through a new cookbook?) I’ve always loved Erin’s concept of “feeding her family each meal on less than $5″, and often sit down to dinners at our table finding myself also tallying up each meal’s grocery bill!
Erin’s book includes tons of great tips on how to feed your family frugally, including ideas on meal planning, shopping wisely and batch cooking, plus suggestions for the best cookware to use when feeding your family on a budget. I loved her suggestions on price points for specific food items (i.e., her tortilla price point is $1 per pack), and suggestions on when you can freeze those items if you find them at your stock up price.
We tried out these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos earlier this week, which were so simple to prepare, and you could easily turn the leftovers into Taco Salads for dinner the next night! One of the things I noticed in Erin’s recipes is that they call for mostly non-processed foods, so not only will you be feeding your family on a budget, you’ll also feed them well on a budget. Here’s the recipe. . .
Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
adapted from The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb.) On Sale $2.99/lb. at Publix
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles in juice Hunt’s Canned Tomatoes On Sale $.69 at Publix, use $0.40/3, $1/4 Hunt’s Canned Tomatoes, exp. 10/28/12 (SS 09/16/12), or use $0.40/3 Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes, exp. 10/28/12 (SS 09/16/12 R)
- 1 bag frozen pepper and onion blend (I could only find frozen peppers at my store, so I just chopped up an onion and threw that in in addition to the peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package soft tacos Mission Tortillas Advantage Buy $1.99 at Publix, not a stock up price but the best deal I could find!
- 1 cup lettuce shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese Publix Shredded Cheese on sale $2.50, use $1/2 Market Pantry Cheese Item Target printable if considered a competitor
- sour cream for serving
- Add first six ingredients to crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4 hours (ours cooked for six hours on low.)
- Drain the liquid from the slow cooker once chicken is cooked, and shred the chicken with a fork.
- Place the chicken into each tortilla and add lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!
I just saw a picture of Erin’s Chocolate Mocha Brownies in the book, which are next on my list to try out! Right now you can order The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook for just $10.98 on Amazon, so if you’re looking for a few new ways to cook up a penny-pinched meal at your house, you’ll want to check it out.
Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE. I did receive a copy of The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook to review, however all opinions are (of course!) my own.