What Do You Do For Simple Breakfasts At Your House? (And Our Simple Breakfast Smoothie. . . )

My twelve year old decided to ban cereal this summer . . . and as a couponer you know that’s what I usually fix on those running-out-the-door mornings!  I’ve had the hardest time trying to figure out what to make him this year during school, so when he begged me try these out this morning I figured it was worth a shot.

He actually made it all by himself (hence the thrown together pics!), and loved it.  I’m excited to have something extra to add to our morning breakfast meals, and he was oh-so-happy to gobble it down. (And any time I can get two servings of fruit in him for breakfast I feel like a good mom!) ;)

Simple Weekday Smoothie (makes 3-4 servings)

Ingredients

1. 1 banana Aldi has them for $.44/lb. this week
  2. 2 6 oz. banana yogurts
  3. 12 large strawberries I’m hoping to find a deal on these and then freeze them for the winter. . . they were $2.50 at Publix this morning!

Directions

1. Clean and remove tops from strawberries.  Place in plastic bag and let freeze for at least an hour.
  2. Blend together strawberries, yogurt and banana
  3. Enjoy!

Now, how easy was that? ;)

What other ideas do you have for simple breakfasts during the school year?  I’d love to hear them, so please take a minute to share!

Comments

1. Whitney says:

Hi Laurie …

Hope you had a good summer! This smoothie looks delish! Cute that your son wanted to try it. Also, LOL on “how easy was that?!” You’re a regular Barefoot Contessa. :)

2. I think strawberries are cheaper at Kroger this week. Also, I like to throw half of a zucchini squash in there too, then I get some veggies with the fruit. It is typically tasteless and if you get the yellow ones, it doesn’t add weird green color either. Hooray for finding something healthy your son will eat!

I’m kicking myself for not buying more when they were super cheap at Aldi’s – I didn’t think of freezing them for smoothies (I know they get too mushy for most other recipes!) He loves fruit and would eat it all day long which helps so much, but I was struggling with how to get some protein in him too… so at least the yogurt gives him a little bit. I love the idea of adding zucchini and know they’ll be cheap at the farmer’s market ~ thanks so much for the tip!

• I will typically add protein powder to any smoothie. Not only is it a good protein source, it also makes the smoothie even more creamy.

And with the right fruit mixes (berries for pb&j or just frozen bananas and chocolate milk) I will also add peanut butter. I didn’t want to mention that initially because you seemed so excited about so few ingredients :-)

3. Jennifer G. says:

We do Eggo’s with PB for a super quick breakfast….also good for on the go!

4. tiffany says:

My mother in law adds a little peanut butter to her shakes… I have never tried it but it would prolly be good iwth all the banana

5. mary says:

If not allergic to Peanut Butter, an awesome smoothie variation is a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast (which is actually quite healthy), milk, Peanut Butter and a banana. I know you occasionally shop at Sam’s for meat Laurie. You may want to check out their frozen section for berries. When my family was on the berry smoothie kick, we could get a huge bag of frozen mixed berries at Costco for much less than buying fresh and freezing myself or buying frozen at Publix. That is unless you get them super cheap at Aldi as you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip Mary! I actually was thinking a peanut butter and banana smoothie sounded so good too, so we’ll have to try it. I’m actually heading tomorrow to Sam’s with my kids for their last lunch out of the summer (it’s their favorite place!), so I’ll check the prices on their frozen berries while I’m there! :)

6. Susan says:

We love smoothies here! I often buy bananas at Sams, but we don’t always eat them all before they turn brown. I throw the whole thing in the freezer (other friends peel & place in ziploc). When I want bananas for smoothies or banana bread or banana pancakes, I break off stem & place in microwave for about 30 seconds. They mash with no effort and are still cold for smoothie. I throw in frozen blueberries from berry picking this summer. I am looking for strawberry deal too for freezing…
    Thanks!

I wondered if my frozen bananas would work – I have tons of them! Thanks so much for the tip … that will definitely help my budget! :)

7. Kelly says:

I always add a couple of handfuls of spinach to my smoothies. You can’t taste it at all. My favorite is peanut butter, banana, Greek yogurt, milk and ice.

8. Kelly says: