When I noticed that Publix had their pizza dough on sale this week for just $1.29, I knew a pizza-kind-of-night was in store at our house! We love Publix pizza dough, and while it’s not quite the same as homemade, it’s awfully easy to work with and tastes fantastic. (I’m also really curious about this cauliflower pizza dough . . . if you need something gluten free it might be worth checking out!)
You do have to be willing to work a bit to get the dough all pressed flat (which gives you a nice little arm workout while you get dinner cooking. . . ) Once your dough is ready, add whatever extra toppings your family enjoys to each calzone ~ my kids had just pepperoni and cheese, but my hubby and I added mushrooms, onions, and green peppers to ours. (I wish we’d had spinach or even diced chicken on hand because I think a those would have been yummy too!) So, rather than just ordering take out tonight, grab a few simple ingredients and get cooking.
Fresh Baked Calzones
- Pizza Dough (we used two loaves of Publix Pizza dough to make two huge calzones at our house, but you could also make your own, or even try out this Cauliflower Pizza Dough!)
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Butter or margarine, melted
- Additional toppings (mushrooms, spinach, onions, green peppers, tomatoes . . . whatever you choose!)
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Roll out pizza dough into large round circle. If you’re having a hard time getting it to roll out thinly, try holding it up to let the weight of the dough stretch it out.
- Brush inside of crust with olive oil.
- Add pepperoni and any additional toppings.
- Sprinkle cheese ~ I used about 1 1/2 cups per calzone.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning ~ I used between 1/2 and 1 tsp. on each calzone.
- Fold crust and press to seal. (Note: I thought mine was sealed pretty well but it definitely started to “poof” while it was baking! It may not be the prettiest calzone ever, but I promise it’ll be delicious.)
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t brown too quickly.
- Brush crust lightly with melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a little garlic salt (optional).
- Serve with marinara sauce.