We love P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef. And honestly, just about anyone’s Mongolian Beef . . . so I decided to try it out at home using a few penny-pinched tricks to make it way more easy on our budget! I had seen this copykat recipe for P.F. Chang’s Mongolian Beef, however the price of Flank Steak is no deal at all (I checked today and it was a whopping $7.99 a pound ~ eek!), so I tried to see what we could do to penny-pinch this meal a bit.
Now, if you’re a lover of absolutely succulent, super-tender beef, I’d suggest you go ahead and purchase the Flank Steak as the original recipe calls for. But if you want the flavor. . . minus the price tag, you can try what we did and marinade the stew out of an inexpensive cut of meat, then follow the rest of the recipe! . Either way I’m betting you’ll be pleased with the results, and hopefully your budget will thank you.
And, if you choose to splurge on that flank steak, you’ll still get a much better price on your meal overall than if you fed four people at P.F. Chang’s, so either way you’ll definitely score a deal!
Here’s what you’ll need . . .
Plus, a little of this (my favorite make-my-life-just-a-little-easier meal shortcut. . . )
Penny Pinched Mongolian Beef
adapted from Food.com
- 1 1/2 lbs. flank steak or London Broil London Broil on sale $3.99/lb. at Publix
- 1 can soda and 1/2 cup soy sauce if you’re using London Broil, if you’re using flank steak you can skip these two ingredients
- 2 tsps. vegetable oil LouAna Oil Advantage Buy $3 at Publix starting 7/21/12, use 50¢ off when you buy any ONE LouAna® Product
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tablespoons garlic
- 1/2 cup soy sauce Kikkoman Soy Sauce Yellow Advantage Buy $1.29 at Publix (ends 7/20/12), use $0.55/1 Kikkoman Sauce, exp. 8/31/12 (SS 06/03/12) or $1.25 off when you buy any THREE Kikkoman Sauces and Marinades, also use $2 off Fresh Beef wyb (3) Kikkoman Sauces, exp. 8/31/12 (SS 06/03/12)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar use $.50/1 Dixie Crystals (or buy store brand around at $1.09 per bag)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying) LouAna Oil Advantage Buy $3 at Publix starting 7/21/12, use 50¢ off when you buy any ONE LouAna® Product
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 yellow onion, sliced in 1 inch strips
- 2 large green onions, sliced in 1 inch strips
- If using London Broil, marinade the steak in 1 can soda (can be anything ~ Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Pepsi . . . whatever you have on hand!) and 1/2 cup soy sauce. Marinade at least 4-6 hours before cooking.
- Slice yellow and green onions into 1 inch pieces, set aside.
- Put corn starch in small pie plate or bowl.
- Slice beef against the grain and cover completely in corn starch. Set aside for at least ten minutes so that the corn starch will stick to the beef when cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic to the pan, then add soy sauce and water before the garlic begins to scorch.
- Add brown sugar to the sauce, then heat over medium to high heat and boil the sauce for about 2-3 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken. Remove sauce from heat.
- Heat oil over medium heat until hot, then add beef to the oil and saute two minutes, until the beef begins to get cooked around the edges. Stir meat occasionally to cook it evenly.
- Remove meat from oil using slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
- Pour oil out of wok or skillet, then dump the meat back in and cook an additional minute.
- Add brown sugar sauce and yellow onions, and cook one minute while stirring.
- Add in green onions and cook another minute.
- Transfer to serving dish.
Serve with . . .
- Sesame Noodles Use Ronzoni Pasta, 12 to 16 oz pkg BOGO $1.68
- Steamed Broccoli On Sale $2 at Publix