If you like chicken salad, I promise you’ll love this recipe. It’s one of those treats that I only make about once a year, but it’s always perfect and so nice to have on hand when I’m not up to cooking in this crazy Alabama heat. (Did you know it’s supposed to get to 106 here in North Alabama on Friday . . . yikes!) So, I’m skipping any serious cooking today, and will be enjoying a few cooled off recipes this week. 🙂
If you’re up for a little more cooking than I am this week, you should also try out this Roast Sticky Rotisserie Style Chicken this week with the Publix whole chickens on sale for $1.29/lb. It’s just about the best chicken I’ve ever tasted, but will heat up your kitchen a bit!
Sweet Southern Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken Use Publix Whole Chicken, 1.29/lb, cooked using this whole chicken crock pot recipe, or Kroger has boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for $1.69/lb. this week
- 2 golden delicious apples, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow raisins
- 1/2 cup grapes, sliced California White Seedless Grapes on sale $1.99/lb at Publix
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped To toast just bake in oven at 350 for 4-5 minutes, watch closely so they don’t scorch
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup mayonaise Hellman’s Mayo BOGO $4.76 at Publix, use $0.50/1 Hellmann’s or Best Foods Mayonnaise, exp. 7/8/12 (Target Get Lotsa Summer Goodness Booklet) if considered a competitor, stacked with $0.75/1 Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, exp. 1/31/13 (Making Life Better Unilever Booklet)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix together mayonaise and sugar. Combine remaining ingredients and stir in mayonaise/sugar mixture until all ingredients are mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate – tastes best after it has been refrigerated several hours.
- Serve on lettuce leaf or (if you really want to impress your hubby), try out Paula Deen’s Chicken Salad Melt. (Mmmmm . . .)