You know how there are some stages of your life when hanging out in the kitchen cooking up an awe-inspiring meal is such a treat? And then, along come other stages where hanging out in the kitchen is nothing but an awe-inspired feat? Yup . . . that’s where our family is at these days.
With three kids at home all day long, as well as the end of baseball season, a very full gymnastics schedule for my daughter, and a crazy busy five year old who wears me out all day long, just getting dinner on the table is nothing short of a tiny miracle around here. So, rather than cooking amazing recipes that require me slaving in the kitchen for hours, this summer I’m sticking with back-to-basics easy recipes that just manage to make it onto the table. With less than five ingredients, this one fit the bill, and would also be a great simple recipe to make on Sunday while you’re away at church! I’m not sure it’s the greatest recipe I’ve ever eaten, but it’s easy, cooked while we were out this afternoon, and cost less than $10 to eat at home. For this stage of my life, I’ll take it.
Sunday Dinner Chicken & Rice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast Perdue Fit & Easy Chicken Breast, 2.99/lb at Publix, or Kroger Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast on sale $1.88/lb.
- 1 can cream of chicken soup Use $.40/1 Campbell’s Condensed Soup from 4/1 SS
- 1 can cream of celery soup Use $.40/1 Campbell’s Condensed Soup from 4/1 SS
- 1 1/2 soup can water
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice Minute Rice Advantage Buy $1.88
- Lightly butter 9×13 casserole dish.
- Mix together cream soups, 1 1/2 cans of water, and rice.
- Cover the bottom of the casserole with rice and soup mixture.
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice.
- Sprinkle dry onion soup mix over chicken.
- Cover with foil, bake in oven for 3 1/2 hours at 225 degrees, making sure chicken is cooked through.
Serve with. . .
- Salad Fresh Express Salad Blends, 5 to 12 oz bag – $1.99
- Veggies Libby’s BOGO $1.19, Use $1/4 Libby’s Canned Vegetables recent printable, submit for $10 mail in rebate when you spend $25 on participating products from Publix
- Homemade Bread with Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Butter or Simple 7 Up Biscuits