What’s For Dinner? Slow Cooked Chicken and Dressing

The Publix ad is a wee bit on the puny side this week, so while I kept looking for a recipe to come up with that worked with the sale . . . I finally gave up and stuck with what was in the pantry! I absoloutely love trying to find great deals using the weekly sales ad for our menus each week, but the thing I love most about being a couponer is that I almost always have the items I need to pull off dinner each night . . . which makes my life so much more simple and helps really pinch those pennies.

So, I picked up some cheap chicken again this week at Kroger (you just can’t beat Perdue boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.79/lb.), and raided my pantry to get dinner on the table tonight. If you only shop Publix you may want to check out my favorite Perfect Slow Cooked Pot Roast recipe , which works well with the $3.99/lb. roast at Publix this week.  Either way, plan to eat at home and pinch a few extra pennies in your budget this week!

And by the way, my sister-in-law gave me this recipe and it’s delicious. . . plus it took all of five minutes to pop in Mrs. Potts!  Have I told you lately I really love my slow cooker? ;)

Slow Cooked Chicken & Dressing

Ingredients

1. 1 can cream of chicken soup (reduced fat is fine) Campbell’s Condensed Soup On Sale $1.25 at Publix, use $1/4 Campbell’s Condensed Soup Publix In Ad Coupon, stacked with $0.30/4 Campbell’s Condensed “Great for Cooking” Soup, exp. 6/30/12 (SS 04/01/12 R)
  2. 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts On Sale $1.79 at Kroger
  3. 1 1/4 cup water
  4. 1/4 cup margarine, melted
  5. 6 oz. package dressing

Directions

1. Place chicken breast in the bottom of the crockpot (frozen chicken breast is fine also, you may just want to add a little extra cooking time but I think it makes the meat more tender)
  2. Pour soup on top of the chicken breast.
  3. Mix together melted margarine and water.  Stir in dressing.
  4. Pour dressing mixture over the chicken and soup.
  5. Cook on low for four hours in the crockpot.
  6. Serve.

Serve with . . .

Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals!  If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE

Comments

1. shalae says:

Thanks for sharing the recipes Laurie! I’m a newlywed and my husband thinks I can cook due to your amazing recipes!

I love that Shalae…. I’ve got to go tell my husband! :) (He thinks I’m a decent cook now, but when we were first married we had soooooooo many terrible dinners!)

2. L Taylor says:

This recipe sounds yummy and easy! However, is 4 hours on LOW in the crockpot enough time for the chicken to get done?

It is! At least, if you have a newer crockpot… in fact mine was done in 3 hours. If you have an older model (that truly cooks on low all day), you might want to cook it 4-5 hours, but my chicken is always done pretty quickly in the crockpot. Hope that helps!

3. Bonnie says:

Hello!! This sounds really yummy!! I have a question though, on the dressing do we have to cook it first and then put on top of chicken? Or just put the dressing on top w/out cooking it first? Thanks for your time and your delicious recipes!!

4. Jen says:

Instead of using the dressing mix, is it possible to use grands biscuits on top? Or would they be best baked then used as a side item? I love my crockpot and am always looking for new recipes but HATE stuffing of any kind. Thanks!

5. Shannon says:

I have made this recipe for years, its my husbands favorite. Here’s my changes/additions, and they make a huge difference.
    Layer Swiss Cheese on top of the chicken before the soup
    Add sour cream to the Cream of Chicken (or use Cream of Mushroom)
    You do not need water, just put the dry stuffing on top of the soup and drizzle melted butter on top.
    Ahhh, I wish I had thought to put this in my crock pot before I left for work this morning. It makes me hungry just thinking about it!

That sounds delicious – I’ll have to try it that way next time Shannon!

• emma says:

So what Laurie calls dressing is stuffing not actual salad dressing! Thanks for your post, I was getting confused! I am not a cook and in Cali I have never heard anyone call stuffing, dressing!

• Angela says:

I have lived in several different states and have had friends from countless others, and I have heard it both ways (stuffing/dressing), which blows my theory of it being a Southern term out of the water – it’s not. I read somewhere around Thanksgiving time that it is called stuffing when it is actually stuffed in the bird (turkey, chicken, etc.) but it is dressing if it is prepared outside the bird.

I never even thought about dressing being salad dressing – how funny Angela & Emma! So glad you all clarified it… definitely not the same thing :)

6. Brenda Nichols says:

Trying this for tonight’s supper. Thanks