The Friday Fluff Up: Homemade Ring Cleaner

Looking for more homemade cleaning ideas? Make Homemade Soap Scum RemoverHomemade Window Cleaner and sign up HERE for free daily emails!

20120525-083635.jpg

Note that fragile stones, such as pearls and opals, may not be cleaned this way – thanks for the tip Hagee!

Lately my rings have looked horrible (okay, my one set of rings . . . I’ve never worn anything other than my wedding and engagement ring!), and I was determined to come up with a way to get them cleaned.  I’ve always hated the idea of paying for jewelry cleaner, so I usually just ask the jewelry stores in the mall to clean them, but I hardly ever get to the mall these days, and I really hate asking them when I’m there.  (It just makes me feel like I should buy something!)

So last night, I did a quick google search of how to clean rings at home, and came up with this easy recipe including a whopping two ingredients  . . . that I can almost guarantee you have in your kitchen right now.  Here’s what to do:

20120525-093924.jpg

Homemade Jewelry Cleaner

1. Mix together 2 teaspoons baking soda and 1 cup hot water.
  2. Let rings set in water for a few minutes (mine set for five minutes.)
  3. Use toothbrush to brighten up the ring.
  4. All done!  (How easy was that?)
I tried to get a good picture of my ring to show you the difference, but my camera just wouldn’t zoom in that close, so you’ll just have to take my word for it!

Best Homemade Window Cleaner
Looking for more ways to inexpensively clean and organize things at home?

See more previous Friday Fluff Up projects and ideas . . . and Happy Fluffing!

Interact with 14000+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!

Comments

1. How great Laurie! I was just thinking about this the other day. I don’t buy ring cleaner either and was at the store the other day getting them cleaned but thinking “I can’t get here that often.” This is a great tip! May I share it on my blog and link back to you?

2. Tiffany says:

I use a dab of toothpaste, toothbrush, and warm water…scrub for a few seconds and rinse. Takes less than a minute and your rings are nice and sparkly. Also, with toothpaste, you don’t have to worry about scratching your precious metals. It also makes bubbles so it will clean really well between stones. :)

I’m going to try that next time Tiffany ~ thanks so much for sharing! :)

• Kim P says:

Yes, my grandmother has always said toothpaste will clean rings well! I’ve never actually tried it though, but now I will. Thanks, Tiffany!

3. Randi says:

Just this out – worked great! Thanks!

4. Steph says:

A soft toothbrush and mild soap with warm water also works well. The baking soda with water also works to help take the tarnish off of silver. Just add enough water to make a paste with the baking soda, and scrub with a soft toothbrush

5. Candi says:

I use a tiny bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid and a tiny splash of ammonia in a cup of hot, hot, hot water. Drop your jewelry in and let it soak (I do this while I shower) Clean with a soft toothbrush and rinse under hot water then dry. The Dawn dishwashing liquid breaks down any grease and grime and your jewelry comes out sparkling clean and gorgeous.
    Granted, this is a little more involved than just the baking soda but it works so beautifully.

6. Judy says:

My M-I-L used to clean all of her silver by putting plain powdered Tide and water in an aluminum lasagna pan. Worked well. I’ve also used toothpaste and an old toothbrush to clean smaller pieces of jewelry.

I just found this one online and am going to try it. 1TBS baking soda, 1TBS Dawn in a cup of hot water. Line a bowl with aluminum foil, Pour in baking soda/dawn/water mixture. Soak jewelry 5-10 min. Rinse then wipe with a soft cloth. If you have jewelry with nooks and crannies use a soft toothbrush to gently clean them out. I’m going to try it as I have a lot of jewelry that needs cleaning!

7. pat says:

I buy denture cleaner, whatever is cheap, break each disc into 4 parts. I have a small glass container, ( think catsup from room service at a hotel), add warm water just enough to cover my ring and add 1/4 piece of denture cleaner. I usually leave it over night just because its easy, but an hour or two will probably work as well. I rinse under hot water and my ring is sparkling clean!

8. Jessica says:

I’ve heard toothpaste works well but I have a daily routine that has kept my rings looking clean. I keep a second toothbrush next to my regular toothbrush and as I’m brushing my teeth, I pause and hold my toothbrush in my mouth (no hands!). I grab the other toothbrush, run it under water and just brush my rings without taking them off (this seriously takes only two seconds). Then I finish brushing my teeth and I’m out the door! Make it part of your routine and your rings are always sparkly! :)

9. Karen Sweigart Hagee says:

Please not that fragile stones, such as pearls and opals, should not be cleaned in this manner.

Trackbacks

1. [...] In just four easy steps and with only two simple ingredients, you will have yourself a powerful homemade jewelry cleaner. Yet another homemade item to fill out your shelves and stop you from buying store [...]

2. [...] and I have no plans on stopping at my jeweler, I thought I could try the recipe that I found here. Here is a close up look at all the gunk that has been building in the nooks of my two wedding [...]