In case you don’t have enough cheap chicken recipes (are there ever enough?), here’s another simple chicken recipe that’s always a hit at our house, and if will match up with the sales just about everywhere this week as we’re getting ready for Cinco de Mayo! It’s our favorite recipe for enchiladas, and I’m betting your family will love it. Leave a comment if you try it out in your home this week!
By the way, I noticed that Kroger has Mission Tortillas on sale for $1 this week, and Publix has the larger sizes BOGO $2.69. These hardly ever are priced that low, so I definitely recommend stocking up . . . don’t forget you can freeze those tortillas!
Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions the last time I checked these were $.69 at my Publix
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles Use $1/2 Chi-Chi’s Products printable coupon
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream Breakstone’s Sour Cream BOGO $1.66 at Publix
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese Publix Shredded Cheese On Sale $2.50, or Kraft Shredded Cheese $2 at Kroger and $2.25 at Target
- 6 - 12?inch flour tortillas or 10-6? tortillas (we used 10 6″ tortillas) Mission Flour Soft Taco Tortillas BOGO $2.69 at Publix or $1 at Kroger
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cubed/shredded chicken breast Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts $2.24/lb at Publix or $2.79 lb at Bi-Lo; you can also get the Gold’N Plump All Fresh Chicken Breasts 20 oz for $4.99 at Target and use this $1.50/2 Gold’N Plump All Fresh or Frozen Chicken printable stacked with $1.50/2 Gold’N Plump Chicken Item Target printable
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Melt butter or margarine over low heat in saucepan. Saute green onions until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic powder, then green chiles, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Mix well. Take out 3/4 of the mixture and set aside; mix remaining 1/4 of sauce mixture with chicken and ONE HALF CUP of shredded cheese (I didn’t read the directions correctly so hopefully you’ll catch that!) Stir all ingredients together until smooth.
- Fill each tortilla with chicken mixture and roll up, place seam side down in baking dish. In small bowl combine the reserved 3/4 cup of sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the tortillas and top with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (tip: to prevent tortillas from drying out on the edges, you may want to completely cover each tortilla with sauce mixture).
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Serve with . . .
- Salad Fresh Express Salad Blends BOGO $3.99
- Chips and Salsa Tostitos on sale $2.50 at Publix or $3 at Kroger, use $1 off Tostitos Dip wyb bag of Tostiots Tortilla Chips printable or
$1/2 Tostitos Tortilla Chips, exp. 5/16/12 (Pepsi Moments 04/29/12), or Pace Salsa on sale $2.50 at Publix, use this $0.50/2 Pace Product printable
If you’ve got any leftover ingredients after making this recipe (i.e. green onions, chips, salsa, or sour cream!), save them to serve up some Restaurant Style Nachos!