I hadn’t planned on posting this recipe at all (hence the pitiful pictures. . .) but it was so stinkin’ good that I thought you might enjoy a little Memorial Day splurge too! My hubby called me yesterday while I was at Publix hoping I’d bring home some good meat to grill, so when I noticed the Ribeye Steaks on sale for $7.99 per lb. (regularly $12.99 per lb.), I decided they were worth the splurge. And oh my goodness . . . they were.
He found this recipe over on the Pioneer Woman, and it was better-than-a-steakhouse-restaurant good. We cooked the steaks on the grill instead of on the stovetop, but other than that we followed her directions pretty closely. After making it, we decided that next time we’ll add mushrooms maybe as well to the onion sauce . . . yummmm (seriously, this is some heaven-sent goodness!)
While it’s not an incredibly penny pinched meal, all of the items are on sale at Publix this week (and I’m betting most other grocery stores. . . ) so here you go.
Grilled Ribeye Steak with Onion Bue Cheese Sauce adapted from The Pioneer Woman
- 2 whole Ribeye Steaks On Sale $7.99 at Publix or $8.99/lb. at Kroger
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Very Large Yellow Onion, Sliced Bag onions on sale $2.99 at Kroger
- 1 cup Heavy Cream Publix brand $1.99
- 1/2 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese Publix brand on sale $2
- Salt and pepper steaks. Cook steaks on grill (or in skillet) three to five minute on each side. (Note ~ we grilled the steaks at the end, and then just re-warmed the sauce after the steaks were grilled.)
- Saute onions in 4 tablespoons butter over high heat. (Margarine worked fine for us as we’re out of butter. . . it was still delicious, but of course butter is always best!)
- Cook 5-7 minutes, until onions are dark and have started to carmelize.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add in cream.
- Cook an additional 3-6 minutes (until you’ve got about half of the cream mixture left.)
- Stir in blue cheese until melted.
- Serve steaks on top of sauce . . . yummmmm!
Looking for some Memorial Day Recipe Treats? Here are a few to get you started . . .
Need a little more menu inspiration? Go HERE.