I looked and looked through the Publix ad this week for some amazing deal on meat, and kept coming back to the smoked sausage on sale for $2.50. Now, my family are not huge fans of smoked sausage, but with meat as expensive as it is these days, I figured we had to work with what we’ve got!
Guess what? This recipe was delicious, and my very-picky-I-don’t-want-to-eat-anything-ever child gobbled down that smoked sausage! (She did not gobble down the rest of the dish because she’s not a casserole kind of girl. . . I’m betting you guessed that . . . but she would have loved the sausage and pasta separately!) I’m pretty sure after trying this recipe that it’s next to impossible to mess up a recipe with French’s Fried Onions (kinda’ like you just can’t mess up a Pillsbury Crescent Roll.)
Smoked Sauce & Penne Pasta adapted from Taste of Home
- 2 cups uncooked pasta Barilla Pasta BOGO $1.19 at Publix
- 1 pound smoked sausage Eckrich Smoked Sausage On Sale $2.50 at Publix
- 1 1/2 cups milk On Sale $2.99 at Publix, but a friend of mine found it at Sam’s for $1.99 per gallon yesterday!
- 1 can cream of chicken soup $0.40/2 Campbell’s Condensed Soups, exp. 4/15/12 (SS 02/12/12 R)
- 1 1/2 cups French’s Fried onions, divided hopefully you grabbed some last week when they were on sale, use $0.50/1 French’s French Fried Onions, exp. 4/15/12 (SS 02/12/12)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, divided Kraft Cheese BOGO at Publix, use $1 off Publix Bakery Bread wyb Kraft Natural Cheese Shreds or Chunks (Publix Printable)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cook pasta according to package. Meanwhile, brown sausage in skilled over medium heat for five minutes, then drain oil
- Mix together milk and soup, stir in 1/2 cup fried onions, 1/2 cup cheese, peas and sausage.
- Drain pasta, and stir into sausage mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 13×9 pan at 375 for 25-20 minutes. Add additional 1 cup fried onioins and 1/2 cup cheese, and bake an additional five minute uncovered.
Serve with . . .
- Fresh Express Salad Blends BOGO $3.99
- Publix Bakery Bread Use $1 off Publix Bakery Bread wyb Kraft Natural Cheese Shreds or Chunks (Publix Printable)