This isn’t the most penny-pinched dessert with the sales ads this week, but after making Paula Deen’s crazy good Banana Pudding this weekend and scraping out ever last bite from the bottom of the pan yesterday, I couldn’t wait to share it with you! Hopefully you have a few of the items in your pantry (or if you’re like me you can pick up the store brand version of all of these items ~ I used Publix brand cream cheese, cool whip & vanilla wafers and it tasted simply amazing!)
The one change that I did make to the original recipe was on the vanilla wafers. Apparently Paula Deen is not the penny-pincher that I am, as the recipe calls for Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookies. When I saw the price of those cookies (a whopping $3.79 for each bag!), I decided Paula might just be proud that I picked up those store brand cookies instead. 😉 You can bet though that I’ll be watching for those Pepperidge Farms Chessman Cookies to go on sale . . yummmmm!
Paula Deen’s Not Yo’ Mama’s Banana Pudding adapted from Paula Deen ~ you really need to go take a peek at her version . . . it just looks amazing!
12-ounce container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whip
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 cup milk
5-ounce box instant French vanilla pudding I could only find plain old vanilla and that worked just fine!
6-8 bananas, sliced
2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies or vanilla wafers
- Put a bag of cookies (or vanilla wafers) on the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch dish, then slice bananas and layer on top.
- Combine milk & pudding mix, and blend well using a mixer.
- In seperate bowl, combine cream cheese & condensed milk and mix until smooth.
- Gently add in whipped topping to cream cheese mixture.
- Mix cream cheese mixture with pudding mixture and stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture over the cookes & bananas, and then cover with another layer of cookies.
- Put in refrigerator until ready to serve.
*Update: Jennifer reminded me that there are a few coupons on those Pepperidge Farms Chessman Cookies
- $0.50/1 Pepperidge Farm Bakery Products 12/04/2011 SS Insert (exp 02/12/2012) or $1/2 Pepperidge Farm Bakery Products 12/04/2011 SS Insert (exp 02/12/2012)
- Stack with $1/2 coupon in the Yellow Advantage flyer
- Thanks Jennifer . . . now I’ve got to go buy some!
Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Gallery, and you can also see more recipe ideas over on my Pinterest board!