Enter to win one of five free Swiffer Dusters, and sign up for free emails for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card to your store of choice!
Every Saturday for just about the last twelve years (at least when we haven’t had early morning ball games . . .) our family has made these Oh Boy Waffles. The recipe came from a 1969 Better Homes & Gardens cook book (you know, the one with the picnic table cover?), and undoubtedly our favorite Saturday morning treat.
This weekend, my (~very wise~) Sweet Caroline decided that we needed to fluff those waffles up a bit by adding some fresh strawberries. Then, she noticed a few chocolate chips lurking in the pantry, so she decided they’d be perfect to add to the batter as well. The result? Heaven sent yumminess. (That girl knows a thing or two about her breakfast!)
Here’s how you can treat your family to special sweet treat this Valentine’s Day (or Valentine’s Day weekend . . .)
Oh Boy Waffles recipe adapted from BH&G Cookbook
- 2 1/4 cup flour (the recipe originally called for 2 1/4 cups flour, but I usually add about 1/8 cup more to get the right consistency)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder Use $0.30/1 Kingsford’s Corn Starch or Argo Baking Powder, exp. 4/15/12 (SS 11/06/11) or $0.30/1 Argo Baking Powder printable
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar Use $0.50/1 Imperial Granulated Sugar printable
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet morsels per waffle (optional) Use $0.50/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels printable
- strawberries for topping (optional) On Sale $2.49 at Publix
- syrup & powdered sugar for topping
- Sift together dry ingredients (I just beat the dry ingredients together for a few seconds with a wire whisk to sift).
- In seperate bowl mix together eggs, milk and vegetable oil.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir just until well moistened (not too long).
- Pour 1/2 cup waffle mix into preheated waffle iron.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chocolate chips over batter (optional)
- Bake according to waffle iron directions.
- Top with strawberries, powdered sugar & syrup (yummmm!)
I just took a picture of my pitiful copy of this recipe (it’s hung on the door of our spice cabinet in every home that we’ve lived in, so that I can always easily access it on those groggy Saturday mornings. . . ) My mother-in-law gave my husband the cookbook back in his bachelor days, and I got a kick looking through it this morning!
You may know how near and dear homemaking is to my heart, so this just made my day! I need to go check my newer BH&G cookbook and see if they still include it . . .
Looking for another sweet treat to impress your family with this Valentine’s Day? This Cherry Cheese Cobbler would be perfect because the Crescent Rolls are on sale at Publix (and just about everywhere!) this week! Yummmm……
Interact with 7629+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!