I’m so excited about the free Rotisserie chicken this week at Publix when you purchase four participating P&G products, so I grabbed eight items today and snagged two Rotisserie chickens! I’ve been wanting to make these Chicken Potpie Empanadas, so this was the perfect way to enjoy them (while still geting a bit of a deal.)
This recipe is so simple, and requires just a few basic ingredients. The best part is you can even make these up early in the day if you like, and keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to bake, which always makes the it’s-almost-dinner-and-we’ve-got-eight-jillion-things-to-do craziness around here go a little more smoothly. If you love chicken pot pie, you may also want to try out this more traditional pot pie dish (which we also love!), but this was a fun twist on a plain old weeknight meal.
Chicken Potpie Empanadas adapted from Real Simple
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth $1/4 Progresso Product Store Coupon
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 3- to 4-pound store-bought rotisserie chicken, meat shredded Free at Publix when you purchase four participating P&G products, or you can use this Roast Sticky Rotisserie Chicken recipe to cook the chicken at home
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 refrigerated 9-inch piecrusts Use $0.50/2 Pillsbury Rolled Refrigerated Pie Crusts, exp. 2/25/12 (SS 12/04/11)
- Pre-heat oven to 400. Melt the butter or margarine over medium heat in a sauce pan, then add onion and cook for three minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add in the chicken broth, and then bake until the sauce is thickened. (It took a little less than three minutes for mine to thicken.) Add shredded chicken, peas, and carrots, as well as 1/4 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- Cut each pie crust into half, and add chicken mixture over one side of each half, leaving enough border to seem shut. Press to seal, and cut slits in top of each pie.
- Place the empanadas on a baking sheet & bake 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.
Serve with . . .
Fresh Express Salad Blends BOGO $3.99 at Publix
Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Gallery, and you can also see more recipe ideas over on my Pinterest board!
Interact with 7750+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!