Enter to win a $25 Publix Gift Card and sign up for PPP emails to get a $50 Gift Certificate to your favorite store!
I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious this “Scooter’s Spaghetti” that I found over on Salad in a Jar was for dinner tonight. Here’s just a hint: I don’t much like spaghetti (at all, really. . . ), but I’m pretty sure I could eat the entire. pan. all. by. my. self. My hubby even proclaimed it “good-enough-to-take-to-a-pot-luck”. (Which apparently means really, really, good at our house.)
Now, if you’re on a diet, do yourself a favor and don’t even think about making this recipe. (I know – I hate that too, but no matter how solid your will power is you won’t be able to stop at one serving ~ you just won’t!) Thanks to Scooter’s Spaghetti I’ll be scooting my way to the gym in the morning to work off what I ate, but goodness . . . every bite was sooooo good!
If you’re making supper for a new mom or someone who’s been a bit under the weather, this is just the perfect make-and-take recipe. You can even make it ahead of time (minus the French’s onions), pop it in the freezer, and then bake when you’re ready to eat. So, try it out and let me know what you think!
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti hopefully in your stockpile!
- 1 pound ground beef Ground Round On Sale at Publix, $3.99/lb
- 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces) Ragu BOGO $2.20, Use $.50/1 Ragu pasta sauce 1/29/12 RP
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers optional, we did not use them
- 1/3 cup chopped onions Sweet Onions On Sale, 1.29/lb at Publix
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese we substituted with mozzarella because I didn’t have any Fresh parmesan
- French Fried Onions (small can) Use $.30/1 French Fried Onions
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Brown ground beef, and drain grease. Pour spaghetti sauce into ground beef and heat.
- While spaghetti & ground beef are cooking, combine onions, peppers & butter in microwave save bowl. Cover and heat on high for four minutes. (NOTE: depending on your microwave this may be too long – try heating for one to two minutes to start with and then checking to see that onions and peppers are cooked every minute or two until onions are translucent.)
- Add cream cheese and milk to microwaved onions & pepper mixture and stir (you may need to warm the cream cheese up a few seconds in the microwave to make it easy to mix together.)
- In a 10×6 oval pyrex dish (or similar size), put a thin layer of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Then add all the spaghetti noodles.
- Next add cream cheese mixture, and then the spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese (or mozzarella) over the top of the casserole. (I added about 3/4 cups of mozzarella, but I think fresh parmesan would ahve been fantastic!)
- Bake at 350 for twenty five minutes. Add can of fried onions, and bake an additional five minutes (be careful not to let them burn!)
- Garnish with grated parmesan. . . yummmmmmm!
Serve with . . .
- Publix Hearts of Romaine Salad, Spring Mix, American, European, or Italian Blend, or Caesar Salad Kit On Sale $2.00
- Garlic Bread Hopefully in your stockpile. . . my freezer is pretty stocked right now with Garlic Bread!
Interact with 7478+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!