I’ve been hoping for a reason to make these since the weather got a little colder around here, and I’m so glad I finally found a night to try them out! We’ve made a similar recipe before to enjoy while we decorate the Christmas Tree, but this was by far the best way to make these. (I promise, your family will love them!)
- 24 good white dinner rolls We used Sara Lee and they were perfect, but you may want to check out the 0.75/1 Pepperidge Farm Stone Baked Artisan Rolls, exp. 12/25/11 (SS 10/16/11) coupon to make them just $1.09!
- 24 pieces good honey ham Hillshire Farm Deli Select Lunchmeats, Ultra Thin, 8 or 9 oz tub – $3.33
- 24 small slices Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup miracle whip
For the Poppy Seed Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard $0.30/1 French’s Mustard printable
- 1/2 cup butter, melted I used some I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Baking Sticks stocked up on from the sale a few week’s ago
- 1 Tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce $0.50/1 French’s Worcestershire Sauce printable
- Slice buns in half lengthwise. Take top half off and set aside. (I left my buns together to make the recipe eiasier.)
- Mix together mayonaise and Miracle Whip, and spread onto both sides of the roll. (Optional, I only spread it on the bottom half of my rolls.)
- Add slices of ham and cheese to bottoms of buns. Then put tops of rolls back on and put them in large baking dish. Keep your rolls close together.
- In bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the poppy seed sauce. Pour over sandwiches and let sit 10 minutesor until the butter has lightly set. Cover the baking dish with foil, then bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, or until warmed through and cheese is beginning to melt. Uncover and cook an additional two minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the the Recipe Gallery.
Interact with 6335+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!