I’ve tried quite a few apple pie recipes over the last fifteen years (when my hubby and I got married and I decided making apple pies was an absolute fall requirement. . . ), however this one just won the best-apple-pie-ever vote in our house. We enjoyed it last night for dessert, I was so tempted to have it today for breakfast (but I resisted . . . really!), and oh my goodness, it is simply delicious!
We’ve owned a cast iron skillet for quite some time but I’ve never taken the time to actually figure out what to make in it. After trying out this recipe, I’ve decided this might just be what those skillets are made for! My kiddos and hubby all gobbled it down, and after eating a huge slice after dinner last night for dessert, my eleven-year-old asked right before bedtime if it was time for another piece of pie. (I figure over the next few years it might just take Apple Pie to keep him happy, so I’ll be bakin’ this one up again soon at our house.)
Perfect Skillet Apple Pie courtesy of Southern Living, September 2011
- 4 lbs apples they recommend 2 lbs. Granny Smith & 2 lbs. Braeburn apples, I used 5 green apples and 2 red apples but I’m not sure which varieties they were! (Royal Gala Apples, 3-lb bag are on sale at Publix for $2.99, but your best price right now should be the local farmers market.)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar $0.45/1 Dixie Crystals Sugar printable$0.50/1 Imperial Extra Fine Granulated Sugar printable; Dixie Crystals Sugar, 5-lb bag – $2.99 at Publix, use $0.45/1 Dixie Crystals Sugar printable
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar $0.50/2 Domino Brown or Confectioners Sugar, exp. 11/25/11 (RP 08/28/11 R)$0.50/1 Imperial Poly Light Brown, Dark Brown, or Powdered Sugar printable
- 1 package refrigerated piecrusts $0.50/2 Pillsbury Rolled Refrigerated Pie Crusts printable or $1/2 Pillsbury Rolled Refrigerated Pie Crusts printable
- 1 egg white we were out of eggs so I skipped this one . . .
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream optional – we didn’t have it but it would have been delightful!
- Heat oven to 350. Peel and cut apples into wedges. Mix with cinnamon and 3/4 cup graulated sugar.
- Add butter to skillet and cook over medium heat. Add brown sugar, and cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes (until sugar dissolves.)
- Remove skillet from heat and place one of the pie crusts on top of the brown sugar mixture. Then add the apple/cinnamon sugar mixture, and top with the second crust.
- Whisk egg white until fluffy, and brush the top of the pie crust with the egg white.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar onto pie crust.
- Cut a few slits in top of pie crust to vent.
- Bake at 350 for between 1 hour and 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine was done at 1 hour.) During last ten minutes you may need to cover the pie with foil to keep the pie from browning too much. (Mine was fine without covering, however if you use the egg white it may brown a little more quickly.)
- Cool on wire rack for at least thirty minutes, and serve with ice cream.