Yesterday while I was scanning the internet for a few new recipes to try out this week, I happened to see this recipe for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Krista’s Kitchen. As I had three very ripe bananas just sitting on my counter waiting to be made into something, I knew this one was just waiting for me!
If you’re looking for a few more yummy recipes this week check out Krista’s BLT Macaroni Salad and Banana Split Dessert (can I just say yummmmm?) But at our house, this Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is about all we can handle in one night.
Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe courtesy of Krista’s Kitchen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk we didn’t have buttermilk so I soured regular milk by mixing 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 milk vinegar
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans + more for garnish optional – we didn’t have them and my littlest doesn’t like nuts so we skipped this one
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Next add in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Stir together bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to batter alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating until combined.
- Add pecans to batter.
- Spray cans with cooking spray or grease and flour pans. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25 – 35 minutes (mine were done right at 25), or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place cakes on cooling rack for ten minutes, then pop out of pans and cool completely. Once cooled, add cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- finely chopped pecans (for garnish) optional
- Cream butter & cream cheese together.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting, then top with pecans.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, refrigerate remaining cake.
To see this and more yummy recipes, visit Krista’s Kitchen. Looking for more yummy cake recipes? Try out a few of my favorites: Southern Living Apple Cake, Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake, and Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake.