Yesterday while I was scanning the internet for a few new recipes to try out this week, I happened to see this recipe for Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Krista’s Kitchen. As I had three very ripe bananas just sitting on my counter waiting to be made into something, I knew this one was just waiting for me!
If you’re looking for a few more yummy recipes this week check out Krista’s BLT Macaroni Salad and Banana Split Dessert (can I just say yummmmm?) But at our house, this Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is about all we can handle in one night. 🙂
Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting recipe courtesy of Krista’s Kitchen
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk we didn’t have buttermilk so I soured regular milk by mixing 1/2 cup milk with 1/2 milk vinegar
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans + more for garnish optional – we didn’t have them and my littlest doesn’t like nuts so we skipped this one
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Next add in eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Stir together bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to batter alternately with buttermilk mixture, beating until combined.
- Add pecans to batter.
- Spray cans with cooking spray or grease and flour pans. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake at 350 for 25 – 35 minutes (mine were done right at 25), or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Place cakes on cooling rack for ten minutes, then pop out of pans and cool completely. Once cooled, add cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- finely chopped pecans (for garnish) optional
- Cream butter & cream cheese together.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cake with cream cheese frosting, then top with pecans.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, refrigerate remaining cake.
To see this and more yummy recipes, visit Krista’s Kitchen. Looking for more yummy cake recipes? Try out a few of my favorites: Southern Living Apple Cake, Blueberry Cobbler Dump Cake, and Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake.