Price Check, Please! What Do You Pay For . . .

Over the last few weeks I’ve had a few questions regarding my top price list on basic pantry staples.   As prices on groceries seem to be climbing these days, I’m planning on spending a few minutes this week updating the list, but I’d love your input.

So . . . what’s the best price you’ve seen lately on . . .

• 1 gallon of milk?
  • 1 dozen eggs?
  • 8 oz. shredded cheese?
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast?
  • 1 lb. ground beef?
  • grapes?
  • bananas?
  • apples?
  • popcorn?
  • baking products?
  • any other basic pantry staple?

Please leave a comment including your top prices and which state you live in.  (And I’d love to hear which grocery store you frequently shop at!)  Hopefully I’ll have an updated list compiled by the weekend.  Thanks for your input, everyone!

Comments

1. lisa says:

1 gallon of milk? – $3.49 or less ( I think that is our Aldi price)
    1 dozen eggs? – got em for 99cents this week at shoprite!
    8 oz. shredded cheese? $1.99
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast? 1.99 a pound
    1 lb. ground beef? $2.49 but I consider anything at 1.99 or less stock up price

we are in NJ – the other things I buy as needed so I don’t have a recent good price.

Love seeing the New Jersey prices – I’m pretty surprised that ours are so similar! Thanks, Lisa :)

2. Hi! Here’s my list and the best prices I’ve seen lately. I’m from Mobile, AL. Love your site! I’m at http://www.savingwithus.com.

Gallon of Milk – $3.65
    Dozen Eggs – $.99
    Shredded Cheese – $2.00
    Boneless Chicken Breast – $2.99
    Ground Beef – $2.49 lb
    Grapes – $1.39 lb
    Bananas – $.69 lb
    Popcorn – $2.99 box?

I’m with you….everything is getting much more expensive!

Thanks Amy! Your prices are pretty close – I had stocked up on loads of free Popcorn and am almost out – I don’t think I can stand to pay $2.99 for it! :)

• Nope, it’s kinda ridiculous down here for some reason! Maybe we’re all big popcorn eaters so they raise thee prices on it knowing we’ll all buy it. =) It’s definitely one of those things we only occasionally splurge on.

3. Jessica says:

I buy alot of organic which really skews the price! The past 2 weeks I’ve gotten half gallons of Horizon organic milk on manager’s special for about $2 each…not bad for organic, as they normally run anywhere from $3.50-$4 for a half gallon. As for other things…

organic eggs-$3.99/dozen
    shredded cheese-I wouldn’t know because I can’t eat it…but 8oz blocks are around $2.50
    Chicken-$2.99/lb
    ground beef-$3.49/lb
    grapes-$1.49/lb
    bananas-.69/lb (but I like to buy them for .19 each at Trader Joe’s usually!)
    apples-$1.99/lb (again, I buy them at TJ’s for about .69 each, which is much cheaper–the organic ones, even!)

Thank you so much for sharing the organic prices – I hadn’t included those but may need to add some in. WOW – those eggs are pricey!!!

4. Carolyn says:

I live in the Tampa bay area in Florida. Lately I’ve seen some great sale prices and have been stocking up!

1 gallon of milk – $2.83 with promotion deal at CVS (buy 5 get 1 free), but usually $3.19 at walgreens or $2.99 at Aldi
    1 dozen eggs – $0.99 at Walgreens/Albertson’s, $1.25 at Publix
    8 oz. shredded cheese – $1.50 with coupon and sale at Publix
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast – $1.79/lb at Sweetbay (I stocked up AND used $5/30 Publix coupon!!)
    1 lb. ground beef – we use ground turkey $1.98/lb at Walmart (JennieO)
    grapes – $0.99/lb this week at Albertsons (first I’ve seen this low this summer! stocking up and freezing.. my girls LOVE frozen grapes!)
    bananas – $0.49/lb. Target
    apples – $0.99/lb. Aldi
    popcorn – $1.10/6 ct box at Publix with coupon and BOGO
    baking products – 4lb sugar $2.09 at albertsons and save a lot with sale and coupon
    any other basic pantry staple – no great sales on pantry items due to the middle of summer. cant wait for fall prices though.. hopefully some good sales and coupons.. i need to stock up!

5. Kelly says:

1 gallon of milk 3.39 at CVS on sale, love when they do the $1.00 ECB deal
    1 dozen eggs .99 Walgreens on sale, 1.49 Publix
    8 oz. shredded cheese 2.00 sale
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast – 1.79 at Sweetbay
    1 lb. ground beef – 2.99
    grapes 1.59 Publix
    bananas .59
    apples .99

I have not bought sugar, flour… since November so I am not sure on the prices now. I am in Fort Myers, FL.

I haven’t seen the Milk ECB deal in forever – and I pretty much stock up on all my baking products in November too :)

6. Heather M says:

1 gallon of milk ~ $2.98
    1 dozen eggs $0.99
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast ~ $1.98 lbs
    1 lb. ground beef $1.84 lb

I am in GA, if that makes a difference!

Your prices are pretty close to ours here Heather – I’d love to find ground beef at $1.84/lb. though – haven’t seen it that low in awhile. :(

• Anne says:

That’s about what I pay for ground beef, too. But I can only find that price when Walmart does meat mark-downs.

7. Jen G. says:

# 1 gallon of milk? -> Under $3.00 (Currently 3.00 at Dollar General Market or $2.98 at Kroger)
    # 1 dozen eggs? -> $1.00 (Currently $1.25 and DGM and publix, $1 at Kroger)
    # 8 oz. shredded cheese? $1.50
    # 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast? $1.99
    # 1 lb. ground beef? $1.98 ground chuck
    # grapes? Don’t know.
    # bananas? .89 for organic bananas
    # apples? 2.50 for a 3lb bag (usually I find them at DGM)
    # popcorn? under $2.00 for a big jug of popcorn kernels
    # baking products? Sugar: 1.99 for a 4# or 5# bag. Flour: 2.50 If you watch the Walgreen sales add, you can usually find baking products there that fly under the radar.

I am in Madison, AL.

Walgreens is great for baking products – thanks for the reminder! (I loved the sugar deal at Publix last week too.) :)

8. Pam R. says:

Loganville, GA.

Gallon of Milk – 2.98 (Kroger)
    1 doz Eggs – 1.00 (Kroger)
    Bananas – .59 lb. (Kroger)
    Grapes – 1.99 lb. (Walmart)
    Chicken – 1.98 lb.

Those are the ones I paid attention to today.

9. Erica says:

Hi , I live in East Texas and only have 3 grocery stores to chose from Brookshires, Super 1 (which is owned by Brookshire’s) and Walmart. we also have Walgreens , Cvs , and a regular Target.

Non-sale price Sale price

Milk 2.89 2.20

cheese 2.00 1.25

eggs ? .89

sugar 2.29 1.99

bananas ? .59

grapes 1.99 .99

Split chicken breast .99 a pound on-sale

Ground Beef 2.49 – 3.00 #

I buy 24 pack box of Act popcorn at walmart for 5.00

WOW – that price on milk is great! (Eggs too!) I haven’t heard of Brookshires or Super 1 – thanks fo the input :)

10. Heather says:

I usually get my milk, eggs, and cheese at Sam’s, the rest at Walmart and Publix.
    milk- $2.89/ Sams
    eggs- $1.49 (18 count)/ Sams
    cheese- $10/5lbs shredded cheddar ($1/8oz)/ Sams
    chicken- $1.99/lb /Publix
    beef- $2.49/lb/ Sams
    grapes- $.99/ Walmart
    bananas- $1.39 for 3lbs/ Sams
    apples- ??
    I live in Athens, AL.

I’m so bummed that the price of milk when up at Sam’s Heather – it’s made me just about give up going there. (It was only $2.39 a few months ago, I can’t make myself drive that far!)

11. factord_agin says:

In MS,

gal of milk: 2.99
    eggs: 99 cents
    chicken: 1.98
    ground chuck: (I buy 80/20 so it’s a little higher) 2.49
    bananas: 46 cents/lb
    grapes: 99 cents/lb
    apples: 99 cents/lb
    popcorn: $1, not on sale lately
    baking goods: sugar was around $2.50 for Domino 4 lbs.
    cereal (a staple at my house): real close to free for Kelloggs thanks to the Cars cash. Other brands (store, GM) haven’t really been on sale at a good price. I just paid around $1.50/box for GM this weekend.

Cereal is DEFINITELY a staple at our house too! I can’t believe I didn’t include it – I love to pay $1 per box but it’s definitely getting harder to find that price (the Cars Cash helped though!)

12. Mindy says:

Hi! I am in AZ! I mostly shop at Fry’s. Here are the prices I have seen lately in my area. These are sale prices!

1 gallon of milk – $1.67
    1 dozen eggs – $.88
    8 oz. shredded cheese – $2.19
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast – $1.67/lb
    1 lb. ground beef – $2.99/lb – I only buy 93% Lean
    grapes – $.69/lb
    bananas – dont buy bananas I am allregic
    apples – $.69/lb
    popcorn – last time I bought it at Staples on clearance 24 bags for $2.50
    baking products – Sugar and Flour $1.99
    any other basic pantry staple – pasta $1.00
    I love your site and how interactive you are!!! I am at thewaywesave.com

WOW Mindy – milk for $1.67 (seriously?) That’s fabulous (I wonder what it would cost to send a refrigerator truck filled with it over here . . . ) :)

Thanks for sharing – heading over to check out thewaywesave.com!

13. Tiffany says:

I live in Chattanooga, and here’s what I’ve seen or can remember for some of these prices. These are the very best prices I have seen in the last month, and they include store sales, but not coupons.
    1 gallon of milk $2.79 (only saw it once!)
    1 dozen eggs? 1.00 (seen twice)

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast? $1.98 (see this regularly)

grapes? 50 cents/pound. Saw it last week at Food Lion. Blew my mind!
    bananas? .49/pound

14. bridget says:

I live in Harvest, Al. I will shop anywhere that has sales but it’s usually publix.

1 gallon of milk? I don’t know. I don’t pay attention b/c it’s a need.
    1 dozen eggs? I don’t know. I don’t pay attention b/c it’s a need but my publix has had eggs $1 dozen lately
    8 oz. shredded cheese? After sales and coupons I try to pay $1 or less a package. I stock up when it’s on sale and it goes in the freezer until we need it.
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast? If it’s $1.99 or less for any meat I stock up. (usually at kroger/walmart. they have the best meat deals with clearance/manager specials). At walmart I got it about $1.81 lb about a month ago. I stocked up majorly!!!
    1 lb. ground beef?
    grapes? I’ll buy any fruit I can find for $.99 lb or cheaper and we eat what’s on sale. So we both like grapes but don’t eat them much. lately it’s been lots of watermelon & those cheap pineapples at publix. i think i’ve seen them $1.29 lb lately
    bananas? Walmart has them .29, publix usually about .49
    apples?
    popcorn? this is a pantry staple for us. i buy it whenever it’s bogo @ publix and I have a coupon. We mostly get the air popped kind to save money. I think it’s been about $1.60 each time i’ve bought it lately
    baking products? flour, yeast, sugar I buy at costco, margarine i get for free usually. box mixes i try to only get for .25-50.
    any other basic pantry staple? ours are
    canned tomatoes .35-50 a can
    frozen veggies= under $1

15. Jody says:

Wow, I should count my blessings…as I think things are somewhat cheaper here in the DFW, Texas area. Here are my current lowest prices using coupons, sales etc.

Milk $2.38/gal (but today I used that .75/1 gal so it was only $1.63!)
    Eggs .88/dozen
    Chicken $2.33/lb boneless breasts
    Hamburger 73/27 1.67/lb (I always buy the 3 lb tube for $5.)
    Bananas .39/lb
    Grapes .88/lb
    Cheese 1.49/8oz
    Cereal $1.50/box or less ( I refuse to buy it for more than this…I have over 25 boxes in my pantry right now and my kids live on it sometimes :)
    Bread $1.50/loaf (but only because I refuse to buy that super thin cheap store brand.)
    Coffee (must have!) about $2.15/for one 11 oz. can (or $.18 to $.20/ounce in any size.)

I’ve noticed when watching ads from Texas that your prices definitely do seem lower than ours here in Alabama! Thanks for sharing – I’d love to see bananas & grapes at those prices!

16. brenda says:

With ground beef sometimes i think you get what you pay for. Love Love Sam’s about $3.19 lb always cooks up nice with little grease that cooks out. Make good hamburgers!!!

17. Petra Troupe says:

1 gallon of milk – 2.79 $
    1 dozen eggs – 0.99 $ and up
    8 oz. shredded real cheese 1.79 $
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast 1.96 $
    1 lb. ground beef 97 % fat free 3.40 $
    1 lb. grapes 1.89 $
    1 lb. bananas 0.25 $
    1 lb. apples (Honeycrisp) 1.99 $
    Jolly popcorn 0.99/1.09 $

Alabama

Trackbacks

1. [...] here’s what I’m aiming for.  These will definitely vary by area, but I was surprised when you all shared your top prices a few days ago that the prices were more similar to mine in other regions than I [...]