As I mentioned earlier, I’m really trying to limit my grocery purchases this week because our cupboards are overflowing! So I wanted to come up with a yummy easy meal that wouldn’t require a trip to the grocery store, and this one fit the bill. (Especially since my neighbor shared Northern Beans from her pantry!)
This was so yummy and easy, and such a nice treat after the cold rainy days we’ve had way up here in North Alabama this week. It was also great to enjoy with the abundance of Ritz crackers that have taken over my pantry! (Aren’t those Snowflake Ritz cute?) Here’s the recipe . . .
White Chicken Chili
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped optional, we didn’t have one so I skipped this!
- 2 garlic cloves didn’t have those either, so we substituted with 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth Publix brand broth is priced at 2/$.98, which would make 4 cups, or Swanson Broth is on Advantage Buy $2, use $0.50/2 Swanson Broth 11/7/2010 SS Insert (exp 1/31/2011), stacked with $.50/1 Swanson Broth , 32 oz, TARGET coupon
- 2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans, rinced & drained
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch $0.40/1 Argo or Kingsford Corn Starch , $0.30/1 Argo Corn Starch or Baking Powder 11/7/2010 SS Insert (exp 6/30/2011), $0.35/1 Argo Baking Powder 10/24/2010 SS Insert (exp 1/2/2011)
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, shredded I used turkey that I cooked using this recipe, also, boneless skinless chicken breast is on sale $1.79/lb. this week at Kroger, which is my stock up price
- In saucepan, cook onion, jalapeno (optional) & garlic in small amount of oil until cooked & onion is transparent.
- Add broth, beans, parsley, & cumin; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover to simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix cornstarch & water, stir until smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to water, then add chicken or turkey.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until thickened.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes. Visit I Heart Publix and Two Thrifty Sisters for coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, visit the Recipe Index! Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.