Have you ever made a Hello Dolly before? These are one of our favorite holiday treats, and we only make them once a year because you just can’t take this much richness any more often than that (trust me, one bite and you’ll understand!) Okay, maybe I could handle something this rich every day of the year, but my hips simply cannot. 🙂
These are sooooooo yummy, and this is a great week to try them out with all those BOGO Nestle chips at Publix. (By the way, if you’re looking over the ingredients and the coconut scares you off, don’t give up. I hate coconut but still love these – it’s very mild compared to all the other ingredients.) Here’s the recipe:
- 1 stick margarine I’ve used butter, but I think margarine is best for this one
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups coconut
- 2 cups chocolate chips Nestle Toll House Morsels, 10-12 oz bag, BOGO 2.93 (1.46) Use $0.50/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels, $1/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels , $1.25/3 Nestle Toll House Morsels 11/14/10 RP Insert (exp 12/31/10)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips Nestle Toll House Morsels, 10-12 oz bag, BOGO 2.93 (1.46) Use $0.50/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels, $1/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels , $1.25/3 Nestle Toll House Morsels 11/14/10 RP Insert (exp 12/31/10)
- 2 cups nuts optional – not so optional at our house, we NEVER add them!!!
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk Publix has Magnolia Sweetened Condensed Milk on sale $1.25; this brand is made by Borden but I hadn’t heard of it before – I used it and it worked perfectly! You could also grab the Eagle Brand with the $1/2 Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk from 11/7/2010 RP Insert (exp 1/31/2011)
- additional milk (see directions)
- Melt margarine and mix in graham cracker crumbs.
- Spread in greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle next four ingredients in layers (or three if you skip the nuts . . . if you love nuts go for it, if not, SKIP THEM!!!)
- Mix milk and enough additional milk to equal 2 cups.
- Drizzle milk mixture over layers.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool, and slice into bars . . . heaven!!!
Visit I Heart Publix and Two Thrifty Sisters for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, visit the Recipe Index! Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.