Photo By Sara
Are you about to throw away all those pumpkins left over from Halloween? STOP!!! (Really, don’t do it!) Canned pumpkin is expensive, so why not use what you already have? I was thrilled when I saw this post by Amanda over at Mommys Idea Book on how to make pumpkin pie using fresh pumpkin, especially since it’s a great frugal way to stock up on pumpkin for Thanksgiving.
I haven’t tried this yet, but I’m planning to take the challenge this weekend. To learn how to bake your pumpkin, check out Amanda’s post HERE. Just think of how impressed our families will be when they learn we’ve all cooked up our very own pumpkins
- 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust Publix Rolled Pie Crust, 15 oz box, 3/$5
- 1 cup sucanat OR brown sugar OR white sugar Publix Sugar Light or Dark Brown or Confectioner’s Powdered, 16 oz bag, 0.99
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon $0.25/1 McCormick Spice or Extract 11/7/2010 RP (exp 12/19/2010)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger $0.25/1 McCormick Spice or Extract 11/7/2010 RP (exp 12/19/2010)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves $0.25/1 McCormick Spice or Extract 11/7/2010 RP (exp 12/19/2010)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg $0.25/1 McCormick Spice or Extract 11/7/2010 RP (exp 12/19/2010)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups pureed pumpkin
- 12 oz evaporated milk PET Evaporated Milk or Carnation Evaporated Milk, $0.69 at Kroger, use $0.50/2 Carnation Evaporated Milk, SS 9/26 or printable
- Reddi-Whip for topping Reddi Wip Whipped Cream On Sale $2, use $0.50/1 Reddi-Wip
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine sugar and spices in small bowl.
- Beat eggs lightly in large bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for about 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
Thanks so much to Amanda at Mommy’s Idea Book for sharing this recipe with us! Thanks also to I Heart Publix and Two Thrifty Sisters for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for bargain meal deals.