What’s For Dinner – Italian Roast Wraps

Have you ever read a recipe and been sure there was no way it would work but tried it anyways (because you were desperate for a recipe???)  That’s the way I felt about this one, but I’m so glad I gave it a try!  I found it over at Heavenly Homemakers (my great resource this week!), and it worked out perfectly.

So why was I hesitant?  It says to place a frozen roast into your crockpot and cook for just 5 hours – well I figured there was no way on earth that would work, but since I had a frozen roast, I figured I’d give it a chance (we could always have pb&j if it didn’t, right?)  Well it WORKED!  I couldn’t believe it!  Here’s what you’ll need to try it out at your house too . . .

2-3 lb. frozen beef roast Bottom Round Roast on sale $2.69/lb. at Publix, I hate for you to have to freeze it but I’m not sure if it will work as well if you don’t!

1/2 package italian dressing mix This recipe will be super easy if you have some of these, but since I didn’t have any I just halved Heavenly Homemakers homemade italian dressing dry mix, and it was perfect (plus I didn’t have to make an extra trip to the store!)

Tortilla Wraps I used the last of my stockpiled Flatout Wraps (I love those things!), but you could also use Mission Tortillas, $.75/1 Mission Tortillas or $1/1 Mission Tortillas 8/1/2010 SS Insert (exp 9/13/2010)

Cheddar Cheese (optional)

Mayonaise or Sour Cream (optional)

Tomatoes (optional)

Put roast and 1/2 italian dressing packet in crockpot on low.  Cook 5 hours.  Take beef out and let cool enough to shred.  Place back in crockpot and stir to soak up juices.

Top wrap with beef, add whichever toppings you like!

Serve with . . .

Apple Sauce Part of Buy Theirs Get Ours Free Promo this week

Grilled Corn on the Cob On Sale 4/$1.99, probably cheaper elsewhere, check out your local produce stand!

*** To make ahead and freeze, just double recipe (or freeze your leftovers).  Then freeze shredded meat and save to serve over tortillas or hoagie rolls for another meal!  You’ll just need to thaw and reheat the meat to serve.

Thanks so much Heavenly Homemakers for the recipe idea!  Thanks also to I Heart Publix and Two Thrifty Sisters for the coupon matchups, and be sure to visit $5 Dinner Mom for even more great bargain meal deals!

Comments

1. heather says:

yes, it works if it’s not frozen. That recipe is very similar to the one I use for freezer cooking, except I’ve never used a frozen roast. Good to know I can!

2. another_heather says:

if it is not frozen……do you change the cooking time???

Hey Heather! I’m wondering the same thing – I’ll email the other Heather and ask and let you know!

Hope the store’s going well! :)

3. Migdalia says:

Is there any way you could make a printable version of the recipes? I like to print them out and keep them in my recipe binders but all the fancy ads and pictures us up a lot of ink. Just wondering if it’s possible. Thanks!

I haven’t figured that one out but I’ll work on it! One thing you should be able to do is “copy” just the recipe, paste into a word document, and then print that. I’ll see if I can work on finding a way to make out the printable recipes too!

4. FrugalFor4 says:

About printing – this is what works for me……Highlight what you would like to print. Then select print preview from the menu bar by selecting file, print, print preview. Once the print preview screen is up you will notice a box that says shrink to fit. Click on the arrow next to the box and select as hightlighted on the screen. What you have highlighted should be seen on the screen and then you are ready to print. (Save even more money be printing in quick or draft mode.)

5. SusanK says:

Feeling not very bright, right now. Be sure if you plan on having this for dinner, that your frozen roast will fit into your crockpot! My roast is oval, my crockpot is round, and my hair is brown – PROMISE! JK! Guess I will thaw the roast and squeeze it into my crockpot for tomorrow’s dinner.