Time for a Treat – Blueberry Scone Muffins

With the fabulous blueberry deal out at Publix right now, I knew we’d be eating some berries around our house!  I contemplated making a strawberry-blueberry trifle (that does sound good . . .) or blueberry cobbler (yummmm!), but realized I needed an easy breakfast for my kids as we run out the door this week.

My hubby loved these and so did I, but I thought they tasted a little more scone-like than muffin-life (which was just fine with me!)  Here’s what you’ll need . . .

• 2 cups fresh blueberries (make sure they’re ripe, if they’re not ready your muffins will be a little tart) On Sale $1.50, use $1.50/1 HERE to get them FREE!
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil Loana BOGO $3.39, use $.75/1 from 6/6/10 SS
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 and line muffin cups or spray with Pam cooking spray.  Combine 3 cups flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, salt and baking powder.  Put 2/3 cup oil in measuring container, add egg and enough milk to fill to 2 cups.  Add to dry ingredients, gently stir in blueberries.  Divide batter into 24 muffin cups.

Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.  Use pastry cutter (or two forks) to mix.  Sprinkle on top of unbaked muffins.

Bake at 400 for 20 – 25 minutes (mine took exactly 20), enjoy!

Recipe adapted from All Recipes.

Comments

1. Brandy says:

I was thinking about a blueberry cobbler too – but I don’t have a good recipe for one – do you?

2. Laurie says:

I don’t have a good recipe either – but you might try the cherry cheese cobbler – I’m not sure how it would work with fresh berries, but it is DELICIOUS!!

You can find the recipe here –

And I LOVE allrecipes.com when I can’t find a recipe because of their great comments – I don’t think I’ve ever messed up their recipes! Let me know if you find one!

3. Tosh says:

I will be making these tomorrow! I was needing a blueberry muffin recipe for my FREE blueberries. Thanks for letting us know about this! Yummy!

4. Donna says:

These sound wonderful and I’m making them. Do you think I could halve the recipe? More scone like would be great with me. Thanks

I actually doubled the recipe, so yes you could halve it! Follow the Allrecipes linked instructions for doubling – but I don’t think you’ll need as much topping as they call for – I doubled the original recipe but did not double the topping. Make sense at all? They definitely are scone like!

5. chrissy says:

here is the recipe for the delicious, cheap and easy Blueberry Cobbler:

2 c. Bisquick (coupons.com & target.com have a coupon)
    3 tbsp. butter, melted
    3/4 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 qt. blueberries (2 containers)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place blueberries and butter in bottom of baking dish. Mix the rest of ingredients (Bisquick, milk, sugar and egg) and pour on top of blueberries. Bake until golden brown (about 20 to 30 minutes).

6. Here is my recipe for Blueberry Cobbler…easy, crunchy on the edges and delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Scroll to the bottom of the post for a picture and recipe of blueberry cobbler.

7. I hope I can remember this tomorrow to share at work – Thanks

8. Carmen says:

In the recipe, it states 1 egg…….Directions state 2 eggs…………which is correct?
    Thanks!